jogging??

Anita Jo
on 7/29/07 9:25 am - Elmira, NY
hi all, how fast is jogging? my thing is if i do jog outside i stop and walk if a car goes by. does any one else do this? i am 155 pounds now and why do i feel that way. maybe i should just jogg  and let people see. i guess its just i see the old fat me. thanks. anita

Amanda K.
on 7/29/07 11:28 am - Leesburg, VA
Joggie can start I guess at 3.8 ......That's where it starts for me... I guess it could start at 4.0 It depends on how fast you can walk :) Have fun jogging... Check out the Couch 2 5 K program on www.coolrunning.com it's an awesome program.   Be proud that your out there!!!
Scott William
on 7/29/07 10:00 pm
Hey, you are jogging and they are not.  What do YOU have to be ashamed of.  Go for it.   I typically do my runs at 6 to 8 mph.  Occationally, I will do them at a slower pace when I go really far. Scott
Anita Jo
on 7/30/07 11:54 am - Elmira, NY
hi  thanks for the reply. so jogging is better than walking. maybe i should try it everyday but i wouldnt know how far to go. i guess i am just a begginer. thanks, anita

Scott William
on 7/30/07 9:32 pm
I can't say that jogging is better than walking.  It depends on lots of factors.  If two people exercise, one walks and one joggs, the jogger will propably go farther and burn more calories.  They will also have a higher sustained heart rate.  The walker would have to walk longer to match the calorie burning and would have to walk faster with more intensity to get the heart rate up.  Jogging is probably better for the cardiovascular system but walking certainly has its place. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/07 1:42 am - Island Heights, NJ
"The difference betweek jogging and running is an enrty blank."
-Dr. George Sheehan, running expert

carlaplank
on 7/31/07 2:28 am - Albany, NY
When I first started jogging I couldn't understand why I couldn't even run from telephone pole to telephone pole with out completely running out of breath, even though I could WIZ throught 3 or 4 sustained miles on my eliptical.  My husband went with me one day (very athletic guy) and saw my problem right off.  Because I was "jogging" I thought I had to go fast.  Really jogging is the technique of having both feet off the ground at the same time (I know - so is jumping, but really you know what I'm trying to say).  After he explained that I don't have to jog any faster than I walk in the beginning, I was able to start an effective program and I have been increasing my speed little by little.  I also often walk when cars are passing (from behind) but that too is becoming easier to deal with.  Good Luck. Carla
angiedor
on 7/31/07 7:12 am - Schmenkmanville, CT
I am still at a bmi of 36, and I have started adding little jogging sprints into my walks.  It is too hard to do it steady right now.   I just go as far as I can at a slow pace and then walk again for a few minutes, etc.  I do all this on a little circuit that employees walk outside the hospital I work at.  I know everyone can see me and my not-so-graceful jog, but I don't care at all.  I am doing it for me.  Why do you think people would laugh at your jogging anyway?  I think if most thinner people saw a "fatty" trying to jog they would commend them for trying.  I HAVE been ashamed of my body in general..believe me, but I have never been ashamed of exercising in front of others who look better than me.  You should be proud!  You are working hard at getting healthy.

Angie          

Anita Jo
on 7/31/07 7:29 am - Elmira, NY
hi angie, i just got back from our hospital gym its for heart, gastric bypass patients ect... and i am not afrad to work out in front of others so i asked kevin the trainer how do i start jogging and like you said walk a few minutes then jogg for 1 minute and work up do this for like 2 weeks and build yourself up. i said how do i jog when i never done it before. so i am thinking to start soon. thanks for your reply. anita

Most Active