types of exercise

LaDonna_M
on 7/29/07 8:05 am - Lake Jackson, TX

I am 7 weeks post op and would like to get started on an exercise program. My weight has contributed to my knees being shot. Although I have lost 45 pounds since my RNY, I just reached under 300 pounds, so I may be limited on types of exercise.   I also work 10-12 hours a day plus 2 hour travel time, so not a lot of energy left when I get home. I would really appreciate any advise  I could get on exercise video's of different types exercises that I can do.   Thanks in advance.

LaDonna
Earl C.
on 7/29/07 8:14 am - Circleville, OH

I still believe Walking is the best thing you can do post op, especially if you've haven't exercised much before.  There's different levels of the knees being shot, so not sure what extent yours are. My knees are shot but I can still squat 500 pounds. I just make sure I warm up first. I think, again, walking is like a miracle cure for achy knees and lower back pain. I go for walks just to ease the pain of sitting all day. Good luck Earl

LaDonna_M
on 7/29/07 8:39 am - Lake Jackson, TX
Thanks Earl,                        I just need a little push in that direction again, have not walked like I should for a while.  LaDonna

LaDonna
Earl C.
on 7/29/07 11:25 am - Circleville, OH
You just have to force yourself to do it every day. Even if it's just for a little walk or several little walks. Good Luck
SARose61
on 7/31/07 1:02 am - San Antonio, TX
Hi, I have trouble with my right knee and I have found the more regular exercise I get in the better my knee is doing.   We do an in home walking routine by leslie sandsone.  She has several on DVD that you can buy, walk away the lbs or walk and be fit, walk slim  We have the exercise on demand channel through time warner and some of her routines are on there.  Her routines center on about 4 different basic walking steps and you can vary them yourself to do the ones that may cause you knee pain.  Her more advanced routines get you to combine upper body strength training with small weights. Here is a link to her online infomercial so you can get an idea of what the steps are like: http://www.lesliesansone.com/store/walk_slim_system_infomerc ial.htm YOu can find a couple of individual DVDs of hers at walmart. Rosemary
SARose61
on 7/31/07 1:09 am - San Antonio, TX
Ooops Sorry I meant vary your steps to make sure you DONTdo the steps that may cause you knee pain..'m such a dufas! RV. 
Chris G.
on 8/2/07 5:32 am
As far as exercise goes, I've found that one of the best and easiest on the body is Taijiquan (Tai Chi). There are videos at Wal-Mart (store and internet), Target, and www.chencenter.com. If you go through chencenter, a good friend of mine is the teacher. He's taught me and he's really good at teaching Taiji. Taijiquan is an excellent aerobic exercise that improves: balance, bloodflow, concentration, immunity, and losing fat. I practice it and I really enjoy it. Another aerobic exercise that you may find helpful is water aerobics. Swimming is another option for you that will help you lose weight, become more fit, and is easy on the joints.
LaDonna_M
on 8/2/07 8:04 am - Lake Jackson, TX
Thank you for the advice, i will look into getting some video's like that. The water exercise would be good too.

LaDonna
Most Active