Help - I need snack after workout!

JackieBel
on 7/24/07 2:01 pm - McAllen, TX
I had my 1st fitness boot camp session tonight.  It was our fitness evaluation.  Boy, I have no upper body strength.  I did only 34 situps in 2 minutes, 21 arm curls with 10 lb. weights until it burned so hard I couldn't hold them anymore, 11 arms over head with 10 lb. weights, 21 push ups in a minute, walked a mile, and jogged 1/2 mile.  There are 8 people in the group.  We're meeting again tomorrow for our 1st actual workout session.  Then again on Friday. MY QUESTION?????  I wasn't starving after the workout, but a few hours after the workout, I felt that I needed sometype of snack.  I think I made a bad choice.  I ate a SF whole wheat slice of toast with 1 Tbs. natural peanut butter, and 1 tsp. SF berry jam.  What should I snack on if I feel I need an energy boost after the workout?   THANKS!!! JackieBel almost 2 years out
michelle O.
on 7/24/07 9:38 pm - Tampa, FL
Jackie,  Actually you need to eat after a workout...especially when you are working hard. Crabs are great afterwards along with some protein. You picked a good snack. I would skip the SF Jam though. After you have exercised your body needs to replenish the energy it used...I usually do wither bread or a rice cake a little peanut butter, or some sort of protein with it.  Best of luck! What kind of boot camp is it? Is it at your gym?
JackieBel
on 7/24/07 10:42 pm - McAllen, TX
Thanks for the info.  The boot camp is being offerred by a local personal trainer.  He has 3 different camps going on right now.  My camp meets MWF in the evening at a local park.  He has morning camps and mid-day camps.  He also works at a private gym and gives private sessions.  There are 8 in my group - 4 ladies, 4 men.  We had an intense fitness evaluation yesterday.  We'll have a regular session today.  I'm expecting warm-up exercises, agility training using obstacle course type equipment, weight training, aerobic conditioning, and regular floor exercises.  I really should have done this sooner.  I'm so glad that I finally signed up.  It's money well spent. Today I get my customized meal plan from him so I can't wait to see what's on the list.  I'm getting back on track to losing with the Labor Day Challenge.  My goal is to be down to 150 by Labor Day.  After yesterday's workout, I don't doubt I'll be there before then. JackieBel
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/07 10:54 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Your body does need some replenishment after you've done a hard workout.  A mix of protein with some carbs and some fats is often a good option.  Also, keep in mind that if you doing strength training exercises, or exercises that challenge your muscles, your body will need protein soon after your workout so it can repair and rebuild the muscle tissue that was "damaged" by your workout.  (That's how the process is supposed to work.)  I use the term "damage" loosely; it's not a bad thing, just how our bodies work.   Finally, make sure you've had sufficient food and hydration BEFORE your workout.  Generally, you want to eat at least one hour before your workout; that gives your digestive system time to process what you've eaten.  Otherwise, if you eat too close to your workout time, your body is trying to split your energy between digesting the food that's in your system and giving you energy to workout.   I'm sure your trainer can offer some suggestions on how to manage these issue.  Enjoy your boot camp!  You'll soon be a lean, mean fit machine! Kellie

Chris G.
on 8/2/07 12:52 pm
What you had is good. A rule I have is that each meal and snack has to have protein, healthy fat, and carbohydrate. I agree with the other poster, you could probably do without the jam. Especially after a work-out, you need to replenish your body with carbs and protein, with just the hint of fat. Another example is 1/2 a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread; 8 oz. of chocolate milk; granola bars with 8 oz of milk. Those are just examples, but they should provide a basic blueprint for what to eat after you work out.
Most Active