Which gives better results - treadmill or elliptical?

Bellissima
on 7/22/07 5:25 pm
Hi All! 

I'm 12 days post surgery (RNY) and I'm looking to buy some exercise equipment for my home.  Anyone have suggestions regarding which would be better in terms of getting maximum results - a treadmill or elliptical machine?  My plan is do resistance training 3 days a week (probably Body for Life as it's worked so well for me before), and cardio work 4 days a week once my body can handle it.  I had complications with surgery, and have only been home for 4 days now, so it'll be a few more days before I try any major exercising!  I was an athlete for many years, so I'm anxious to get to work on rebuilding muscle and getting fit!  Also, can anyone let me know if exercise helps alleviate some of the feeling of "weakness" during the first month, or does it make it worse?  I love to go walking, but I'm seriously struggling with light-headedness and weakness when I even walk to the end of the block - Help!
Scott William
on 7/22/07 10:04 pm
I know how excited you are to get out and get started but slow it down a little.  You have only been out for two weeks with some complications.  Give yourself a little time to recoup.  Now that I have lectured you enough, I like the eliptical and the treadmill.  The eliptical is great for getting exercise without any stress on the knee or ankle.  The treadmill enables you to walk or run and it is easier to quantify how far you have gone.  They are both good but if I had to choose only one it would be the treadmill.  Again, let yourself recover a little with short walks for a while if you feel okay. Good luck Scott
Bellissima
on 7/23/07 4:04 am
Hi Scott -

Thanks for the response!  You're right about taking my time to work into exercise again.  I'm not planning to even attempt an exercise regimen until  my body is good and ready - (I'm thinking a month down the road, or even more if needed)...This surgery was my "gift" to myself for my 40th birthday, and part of the "gift" was taking better care of myself in every way.  This includes not always pushing myself so hard. 

Amazingly, the surgery has already resolved the knee pain I was having (I'm down 30 lbs as of this morning, so the joints are HAPPY!).  I'm thinking maybe a treadmill is the best first piece of equipment to buy?   I want to get my "home gym" set up so I'm ready to incorporate exercise once I'm healed enough.  Do you have any opinion regarding free weight vs. resistance bands for women?
michelle O.
on 7/23/07 7:27 am - Tampa, FL
I am a huge fan of the Ellipitcal. I am scared to death to attempt anything more then walking on a treadmill so I burn more with the cardio on the elliptical along with the ease on the joints. Both are great pieces of equipment. I give you a huge congrats on working out at home. I have always had the great idea to workout at home however those plans never work. lol. I need the gym for atmosphere.  Best of luck and make sure you are well healed!! Michelle
Jesse50
on 7/24/07 5:39 am
I use both the elliptical and the treadmill.  If I was forced to choose only one it would be the elliptical.  Try and get one which you can push-pull with your arms to train the upper body.  This will increase K-cal consumption.  Remember a treadmill is just walking/running and this can be done without a treadmill.  If you are walking in your neighborhood the elliptical will provide variety that the treadmill will not.  I also find the elliptical to have less knee impact than the treadmill. When making the purchase check if the elliptical can be used in both a forward and reverse direction.  If so, when you tire during exercise you can reverse direction and use different muscle groups, this results in a longer her k-cal exercise.
Jesse50
on 7/24/07 5:40 am
I use both the elliptical and the treadmill.  If I was forced to choose only one it would be the elliptical.  Try and get one which you can push-pull with your arms to train the upper body.  This will increase K-cal consumption.  Remember a treadmill is just walking/running and this can be done without a treadmill.  If you are walking in your neighborhood the elliptical will provide variety that the treadmill will not.  I also find the elliptical to have less knee impact than the treadmill. When making the purchase check if the elliptical can be used in both a forward and reverse direction.  If so, when you tire during exercise you can reverse direction and use different muscle groups, this results in a longer her k-cal exercise.
Kathleen L.
on 7/25/07 1:11 pm - Arlington, VA
Bellissima, I like the Eliptical because it is not hard on the knees I find.  I also like to walk outside for exercise.

Kathleen,  November 15, 2005

374/            178.2  155 
Done! Your Ticker:

Bellissima
on 7/26/07 5:11 am
Thanks to everyone for your input!  I'm leaning towards the elliptical now because I do love being outdoors for walking/running, so I think this will make the most sense for me.  Now, any recommendations for brands?  I'd want one that's in the mid-range in terms of price, and something that's not so huge I can't move it myself, if need be - I liked the suggestion of having one that also works out my arms - What do you recommend?
Seht
on 8/1/07 7:56 am
I just don't like the motions of the eliptical, they don't feel natural.  It makes my hips very uncomfortable.  I'd like to be able to do it, but it just isn't right for me. I suggest you get a couple 1 day passes at the local Y or other health club and try them out.  See which one works best for you. Remember the best exercise is the one you will continue to do. Good luck. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active