Exercise 7+Years Later

MaryseL
on 7/19/07 9:23 am - Baltimore, MD

I keep thinking that must be wrong -- it can't possilby be almost 8 years since my 11/99 RNY but sheesh -- that is right...  I hate been feeling bad about going from a size 10 (my lowest) to a size 18W but it now just occured to me that I need to give myself a round of applause for exercising all these years.  I have been a steady player pretty much:  walking, jogging, lifting weights, yoga, even tried a few pilates classes... sailing, aerobics, and a pretty pathetic attempt at rowing.   I actually have a drawer full of work out clothes that I wear to the gym. I have a membership to Gold's, And a cutie trainer I see 3x a week. I may not be where I want to be size wise -- but I sure am in a different place head wise. 

Earl C.
on 7/19/07 12:53 pm - Circleville, OH

That's great! It's all about being healthy not dress sizes. Earl

MaryseL
on 7/20/07 11:58 am - Baltimore, MD
On July 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM Pacific Time, Earl C. wrote:

That's great! It's all about being healthy not dress sizes. Earl

Thanks Earl!!! Really appreciate it!
SARose61
on 7/23/07 4:12 am - San Antonio, TX
Hi, I give you tons of credit for staying commited to exercise.  I never exercised early on post op.  So I never made it down to a size 10.  In fact I actually stopped at a size 18W down from a size 26W.  I'm 5 years post op now and had regained 30lbs and my 20Ws were getting tight.  I've been exercising regularly this is the 5th week actually becoming a habit , I'm eating much better too.  However the lbs are sticking to me like glue. .   I know the weight isn't going to come off quickly now, it's harder than ever.  So I have to stay focused on how much stronger the exercise is making me feel.  I can tell my  20Ws and even some of my 18Ws are fitting me more comfortably now.   Before WLS I could barely walk from my desk to the car to get myself home.  So yes we have to put everything into perspective, success isn't just about a number on the scale or the back of your clothes. You go girl!  Rosemary
MaryseL
on 8/4/07 11:24 pm - Baltimore, MD
That is fantastic about your sticking to it for 5 weeks.  I go off and on...but here is the reality,  I still actually do it.  All these years later and I am a gym member who goes!!    I know what you mean about realizing what success really is.  It's so much more than the size of the clothes and the number on the scale.  It's memories of a LIFE LIVED rather than wished for.  That is the biggest and happiest result of all this for me.   But having said that, you've got to know getting to a place where my clothes looked great is something i want again.  Beacause I love clothes and I enjoyed it. Does that make ANY sense?
allannah
on 7/27/07 9:42 am - Round Rock, TX
So what's the secret to getting to a size 10 and then keeping it off???

Allannah

MaryseL
on 8/4/07 11:26 pm - Baltimore, MD

I think I would have stayed there had I stuck with eating right, exercising, and earlier going to a better therapist who grasped that I needed help sorting through feelings rather than eating over them.   I think that really was all it would have taken for me. 

Most Active