Getting muscle but...YUCK...jiggle is worse! Help!

swtxgal66
on 7/19/07 6:21 am, edited 7/19/07 6:26 am - Spring, TX
Ok, I have been working out 6 days a week or so since October. I started lifting weights about 6 months ago. I have a pretty muscular lower body and carry most of my fat around my middle and arms. I have lost 32 pounds since february. I have noticed I am building and toning alot of muscle but it seems like the muscle makes the fat I still have a lot more noticable..as in jiggle jiggle jiggle..especially my inner thigh which never really was very fat and especially my arms. So what can I do? Keep toning and hope the fat melts away? Why would toning up make the fat stick out more.. what an endless battle!

My band was removed due to a slip and replaced 7/3/08

Earl C.
on 7/19/07 7:41 am - Circleville, OH

I don't think the toning that's responsible for the  jiggle, probably has more to do with losing 32 pounds.  That's a lot of weight for woman to lose and makes a big difference.

Keep working out. It would only be worse without the lifting...trust me. Earl

swtxgal66
on 7/19/07 7:53 am - Spring, TX

Thanks.. I hope the rest of my fat comes off so I can actually see all the hard work I have been putting in at the gym.  I checked out your profile.  What would you suggest (supplement) to burn fat? I eat 5 small meals and 2 of them are Muscle Milk. I really don't want to bulk up but I do want to burn fat and have some defined arms & abs.

Earl C.
on 7/19/07 12:36 pm - Circleville, OH

Hi Lisa,

I scanned your profile too.  A couple of things stuck out.

I saw a couple of time where you said the band wasn’t working. It looks like it’s working to me. Just look at your Non Scale Victories of reducing your insulin and blood pressure medications. Hell, that was the only reason I had the surgery to get off all my medication. I can see a big difference in the before and after pictures too. You’re doing great.

Losing 1 or 2 pounds a week is actually very hard. The people you see on this board that lose 100 pounds in 3 months have a lot more to lose than you, so it comes off quicker for them in the beginning. But at a certain point we’re all the same and fighting for that 1 pound a week. I’ve been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds for the last year myself.  Yep, I like the cake and deserts too.

If you want to kick start the weight loss again, start by tightening up on the diet. I’m a big believer in low carb, high protein, good EFA to lose fat. 5 meals a day is good.

Up the cardio. I don’t know what you’re doing now, but if you’re not losing like you want, it’s not enough. Cardio and eating fewer calories is how to lose fat. The weight training is to build muscle and stay healthy.

You’ll get toned a lot faster and be happier with the results if you train heavier and less often…yes...less is more with weight training. You won’t wake up looking like a bodybuilder…trust me. Never gonna happen! Start training like a guy and you’ll enjoy the results more. It’s so hard for women “and” men to gain muscle…getting too big…just isn’t an issue in the real world.

Ok…now I’ll actually answer your question.  Sorry. Just read your profile and though I could help…

The old ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin stack used to work really well. I know some personal trainers that have cartons of it hidden away. It’s probably the last, real weight loss supplement. But it’s illegal….so…

The new stuff like Ripped Fuel or Lipo6X just aren’t as effective as it used to be when it had ephedrine in it. From what I’ve read and the main ingredient is usually caffeine now. It’s just cheaper to drink some tea or coffee. I just get the generic caffeine pills from WalMart for less than 3 bucks.  But I don’t take if for weight loss, but it helps me have more energy during my workouts. The more you put into your workouts, the better results you’ll get.

They did some studies and the new weight loss supplements do work…a little. Like 1 %. So for the 32 pounds you lost, it would have given you another 3.2 pounds off the total. But to me, the cost to benefit ratio just isn’t there. Ripped Fuel and the others can run 30.00 to 70.00 for a 1 month supply. It’s just not worth it.

Figures competitor and a lot of European bodybuilders actually smoke to curb the appetite. But…yuck!

Sorry, can you tell I’m bored at work?

Good luck

Earl

swtxgal66
on 7/19/07 3:16 pm - Spring, TX
Thanks for the info.. I know all the supplements are $$$. I do cardio for one hour 3 days a week and lift weights/abs 3 days a week for about 45min or until I just can't do it any longer because my whole body is shaking.  The slow weight loss is frustrating...wish I would have had RNY instead of Lap Band but I can't change that now. Thanks for the encouragement and you sure look happy & healthy in your pics!

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/07 7:30 am - philadelphia, PA
it takes up to one full year for the skin to complete remolding itself...give it time girl!  if u get a cut, it wont take a day to heal will it? and even after it does ya got a scar for  while so give it time. even most plastic surgeons will not touch you for a tuck if it hasnt been a while after surgery.
swtxgal66
on 7/20/07 10:16 am - Spring, TX
LOL..Your right..Patience is not my best quality!

Vivian Prouty
on 7/23/07 7:32 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi if you are thinking about getting plastic surgery the surgeons want you to have pretty much stabalized with your WL for several months before they will do surgery on you.   I am 10 weeks post op from a LBL and I am about to step up my workouts.   I just quit Curves ( it just wasn't working for me anymore ) and I am joininig a coed gym tomorrow.   I am going to go to a Pilates class tonight and really excited about that too.   Just be patient.   Lap band does work....it just takes way longer time to loose it with lapband than with RNY.    Good luck to you.    Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian
Most Active