Weight lifting

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/07 3:50 am - MN
I have never lifted weights before in my life, but I want to start.  both as a tool to help this band do its job, and improve the quailty of my life. I'm gonna call a gym and ask them a few questions.  What should I ask them?  I ideally want to lift with a trainer once per week.  But what other questions should I ask them? I am very new to the whole gym concept. Thanks!
Joanna_F
on 7/18/07 5:54 am - Newport Beach, CA
Hi Brock: Are you a member of a particular gym yet?  If so, I'd go there in person to talk to them.  Gyms tend to have a handful of trainers, some that have particular specialties - like bodybuilding, sports training, etc.  Any training session should involve three things:  cardio training, resistance training (Weight), and flexibiltiy/coordination training.  A good training program will involve these 3 elements.  While weight training is important, cardio needs to also be in the mix so that you're losing fat while gaining muscle.  I would ask them the following: 1)  What kind of training program do you recommend for beginners? 2)  What kind of weight training equipment do you use with clients?  (They should have free weights, hydraulic equipment, a barbell system, etc)  3)  Will the trainer be able to help me build a program I can do at home?  (the trainer should be able to tailor your workout to hand weights, mat exercises and balance ball exercises than you can replicate at home.  Target has a full line of hand weights, exercise mats, balance balls.  Places like Wal-Mart and Sports Authority also have these items.  This way, the trainer can tell you what to do (Exercise type, muscle being worked), when to do it (bigger muscles like legs should be trained first in each session) and how many repitions (12x with a ten pound weight for a bicep curl, etc.).   I hope this helps!  Let us know how it goes! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/07 6:43 am - MN
I am not a member of a gym currently.  Honestly, I have never even stepped foot in a gym. Thanks for your advice!
Earl C.
on 7/18/07 11:44 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Brock. I would never call a gym. Just go visit. All gyms are different, so go visit about the time of day you would be planning on working out.  Most gyms will give you a free pass for a week or so, if not...don't go there. I still think in a big town, it might be possible to workout for free for about a year, just by taking the trial membership then moving to the next gym. Most gyms also have staff to help you get started. They do make their living by personal training, so without paying for the service, they won't hold your hand generally. Smaller gyms sometimes offer better service in that regard. Some gyms I wouldn't trust the kid at the counter to tie my shoes, let alone offer me personal training advice. Best thing you can do is just jump in, go, get started today. Everyone has a first time for everything. So don't be intimidated. You'd be surprises how gym rats are willing to help anyone that asks for help. People love to share what they know. Good Luck. Earl

Most Active