Where do I start?

Pookynator06
on 7/16/07 1:01 pm - Lansing, MI

I can't think of a better way to say this than I want to learn how to run!  I imagine I need to start with walking then transition into jogging and then running... any suggestions on getting started? I am not completly sedentary I do A LOT of swimming ( I am swimming a half mile every day) the swimming feels great but I really want to break into running I would like to enter some local walk/runs. My first goal is the Crim in Flint, MI.    I have a gym membership that I never use (I swim at home in my pool) should I just go the gym and start walking...where do I start??

KTBee
on 7/16/07 11:54 pm
There are way more people who are way more qualified to answer this.  I am not a runner.  I have given it a whirl and find that I don't enjoy it as much as other things.   But, that being said, when I did start running I went to a site that was recommended either here or somewhere on OH.  If you google "Couch to 5K" then you get several listings that have a variety of time lengths.  I know you aren't at couch level but it is a good place to start.  I was into the one that was couch to 5K in 6 weeks.  That is probably more suitable to someone who works out.  It has a training guide.   Hope this helps. Katy B
Scott William
on 7/17/07 9:37 pm

Here is how I went from couch to marathon in about 9 months.  I had the surgery in Dec of 05 and started walking on the treadmill at the gym shortly after.  I remember that my first walk was for 5 minutes at 2.5 MPH.  Soon the walking was up to 30 minutes at 4 MPH.  Once I got to an hour at 4 MPH, I decided that I had to start running to cover more distance in the time I had.  I would throw in some light jogging.  Perhaps a minute or jogging every few minutes.  Soon I was mostly jogging with a few walk breaks.  Once I was running, I just increased the time and intensity of the running and ran my first race in June of 06.  After a few months of running and entering local races, I decided that I wanted to run the Disney marathon which I signed up for immediately.  The key is to sign up for a race ahead of time.  That way you will feel compelled to train for it.  That race took place 13 months after my surgery.  I ran another the next month because I was already in marathon shape and I didn't want to waste it. Anyway, start slowly and just increase the time and intensity. Good luck Scott

SARose61
on 7/18/07 12:55 am - San Antonio, TX
I'm not there yet, running that is.  But I did start a walking program (3 weeks ago) with the intention of doing interval training building up to jogging.   I walk/jog at a univ walking track near my house, great cushioned turf.   Anyway.  I do 5 laps around in just under an hour which is approximately 3 miles.  My 1st lap is strictly walking building up to a comfortable clip by the end of the 1st lap.  2nd lap, I begin counting steps.  100 walking steps and 50 jogging steps alternating, slowly builds up target heart rate.  3rd and 4th lap I increase to 100 walking steps followed by 100 jogging.  5th lap is cooling down back to walking the entire lap.  The 1st week I did nothing but walk, 2nd week I added in the 50 jogging steps on laps 2 & 3.  I hope to increase next to 50 walking steps and 100 jogging. Eventually I hope to get to the point of jogging an entire lap (like the jocks I see speeding by me every day)  Always paying attention to my body signals though if it seems like I'm doing too much.   I think you could do this type of build up on a treadmill at the gym too. Rosemary 
Joanna_F
on 7/18/07 5:27 am - Newport Beach, CA
Hi Pooky: There's a great book that is what got me inspired to start running, it's called "The Courage to Start," written by John Bingham.  When he decided to try to begin running, he figured he'd just go out and do it.  And on the first day, he made it to the end of his driveway.  Then, he went back in the house.   The next day, he ran two houses past his own, and again, then went home.  Now he does marathons.  The important thing is to see this as your own personal adventure.  No one is timing you, watching your form, eyeing you for the next Nike commercial.  It's just you, your body and the open road.  One recommendation is to invest in some good shoes.  Depending upon your foot fall, you may need a stability shoe, something with extra cushion, or a shoe of a particular width.  A good athletic store will be able to hook you up, and you want to try on a few different brands.  This is one of the times where I think splurging is good - you'll get a great shoe and be excited about strapping them on and getting out there!  Just remember, slow and steady build up - push yourself a little farther each day.   Good luck!   
Most Active