Any Cyclists here??

sam_in_TN
on 7/10/07 3:15 pm, edited 7/10/07 3:20 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
I love cycling. I watch every race that comes on Versus, I read all the magazines, all the online cycling sites, I get about 40 catalogs every month. I want so badly to be able to join the local wednesday night fast ride group, and speed off into the evening on a nice light carbon fiber Bianchi. Cycling is the main reason I am having this surgery. I tried desperately to lose this weight with every other method. In fact, i was featured in an article in Bicycling magazine about fat guys tryiing to lose weight by cycling, but everything I lost in the summer came back in the winter plus some. Now I am worried the dumping syndrom will prevent me from being able to really ride like the real cyclist do. They load up on  fruit and energy bars and drink bottles of sports drinks to power them through long training rides, and I have been told I won't be able to tolorate them after surgery. Is there anyone here that really does a lot of riding and how to you handle it?
Rob S.
on 7/11/07 8:26 am - DE

Hi, I am an avid cyclist over the past three years.  I participate in at least one major cycling event every month.   In fact, my brother and I are members of TEAM GASTRIC (the only RNY cycling team the US).  This sunday we are doing the American Cancer Ride (70 miles, although we do the century).  Staying hydrated is key to doing the long rides.  Water works fine.  I use to use a backpack, but discarded it when I realized that I could operate off the water bottles.  There are many sugar free additives and gels that are available.   I usually grab 1/2 banana and an orange slice at the rest stops.   The only thing that keeps me from getting more miles is that I have become more enamored with running 5k and 10ks over the past year.  The main thing is that you need to watch what you intake.  Most of the supplements and treats at rest stops are well above the 6g sugar level.  Peanut butter and jelly is not an option because the jelly is too sugar intensive.   The main thing is do your investigating early, don't experiment on the road, and start pedaling as soon as you can. Rob BTW.  My brother is a cycling fanatic.  He did the Bike across Virginia last year, and leads 100 mile training rides every week. 

sam_in_TN
on 7/11/07 1:17 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
I would love to be a member of Team Gastric someday! Thank you for the tips
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/07 3:29 am

My surgery is next week, but I did  my heaviest cycling while on medifast.   Couple of tips-learned this the hard way-carry your own gatorade if you use it-because you will likely need watered down gatorade and volunteers mix it strong. Nuts (any knd) bad idea. Because your stomach is smaller you can't load up at rest stops-you;ll need to carry your own stuff and start hydrating/nutrition BEFORE you get tired.   Test out your food and your endurance on a circular route-like around a lake-where someone can come and get you if you bonk.  Puking 12 miles from the car-not a good thing.

jwhit
on 10/16/07 4:24 am - North Shore, MA
Sam, I used to cycle when I was in my mid twenties. I really enjoyed it. I was always heavy, but REALLY started to pack on the weight in my thirties and forties. I topped out at 523 lbs and needless to say my custom frame race bike has been sitting in the basement for about 15+ years...until 3 weeks ago that is. In the past 2 years I have lost 270lbs (110 pre-op and 160 post open RNY)  I am now doing 20-25 miles 3-4 times a week (in addition to other excercise) and feel FANTASTIC! The nutrition issue with riding has been easier than I expected. The key as was stated is to stay hydrated.  Good luck and keep everyone updated with your progress. Jonathon
Most Active