new to this forum need advice

missypoohlpn
on 7/10/07 3:35 am - NY
I'am looking for easy at home work out for abs pre and post op and its really hard for me to get on floor at this point so crunches are out at this point but any other suggestions will be great.
Chris G.
on 7/10/07 12:39 pm
What other exercises are you doing at this point? Are you doing any walking, or anything like that?
missypoohlpn
on 7/10/07 1:28 pm - NY
 I do walk all day long at work I'am a nurse however as far as excercise goes I'am just starting out have worked up to one hour on gazelle thus far bought an ab lounger but honestly dont think it does a thing I know I have to excercise and want to but need to start out slow.
Chris G.
on 7/11/07 4:16 am
As far as exercise goes, aerobic exercise is by far the exercise of choice when it comes to burning fat. Building muscle is good, and there are exercises for abs that you can do at home, but in order to actually burn fat, you need to do aerobic exercise, with the Gazelle. But, in order to burn fat all day long, you do need to build muscle. Building muscle actually increases metabolism while you're not exercising, which is another goal of exercise. Pre-surgery exercises are completely different than post-surgery exercises because of the extra pressure that is exerted on the abdominal muscles. My advice would be to hold off on ab exercises for a while after the surgery. A last question...can you not get on the floor at all, or is it just hard? Some exercises that you can do without getting in the floor are: Broomstick Twists: Stand with your legs shoulder width apart, holding a stick across the tops of your shoulders, hands resting on the stick without pushing. Rotate the torso to one side and to the other, keeping the pelvis fixed (Best results are obtained with sets that last several minutes, but you can work your way up to that). Trunk Twists: Same as above, without the stick. Bent Trunk Twists: Same as above, without the stick. Bend forward at waist and rotate the torso. Weighted Side Bends: Stand with your legs slightly apart, one hand behind the head and holding a weight in the other. Bend the torso to the side opposite to the weight. Return to the initial position or beyond. Alternate sets changing the side of the dumbbell without resting. Most ab exercises are done either on the floor or very close to the floor, so those are just a few that you can do without getting down there. Hope I helped!
missypoohlpn
on 7/11/07 4:28 am - NY
Thanks and you did help me alot those are all things I can do at home and easy to do can you give me any tips on anything to do at home as far as weight trainning for upper arms and chest while I want to tone there now to help prevent some of the sagging skin after surgery and cont to do while losing weight I believe with right training those areas I can tone and hopefully won't need plastics afterwards( wishful thinking). Like I said I dont excercise on a regular basis trying to change that now thou in my younger days I ran and would swim alot just because I enjoyed it but I was also all of 90 pounds back then but I will say I cant wait till I can get that feeling again my favorite part of running use to be the rush I would get like a shot of adernal after pushing myself I want to feel that again thanks again.
Most Active