Exercise: At what point do you use supplements?

li3Ruch
on 7/8/07 6:56 am
Hi!  Since my weight loss surgery I've really begun to enjoy exercise.  I make a plan each month and each month is more intense then the last.  I've just added resistance exercise this past month.  In August I'm going to exercise twice per day - just for that month - as I am pushing myself really hard to get my 100 pounds off by November 30th. At what point is it a good idea to use a supplement like they sell at GNC and places like that?  If ever?  Is this only for the "real serious" athletes - or is it for anyone who exercises at an above moderate level and pushing themselves to exceed?  And if so, what type does a person use? For August, I've planned on adding 2 eggwhites to each meal (only 18 calories for an egg white) because I know it has a lot of protein in it and I want to feed my muscles extra for the extra exercise.  I'm going to be running a few miles in the morning and then doing a workout in the evening including resistance training - probably something along the lines of kickboxing with weights. When the weather turns cold again I might get a gym membership for a few months and try the weight machines and/or free weights for 2-3 times a week. Thanks for any advice!!!!

Beth   
                         ~ 245/160/135 (HW/CW/DW) ~ 

(Highest Weight, Current Weight, Dream Weight)  

I am a healthy BMI now and so I am happy.  I haven't decided yet where my comfort point is for maintaining.  I'm trying to lose more, but I may find out that causes me to have more restrictive daily diet and excercise habits than what I am comfortable with long-term.  It's all about choices!!!

Earl C.
on 7/8/07 8:17 am - Circleville, OH
Just in general I'd say you're ok without most the GNC stuff. Most people are.  As a WLS patient you should be taking a good Multi-Vit, Extra calcium and B-12 (sublingual) at least just for general health. Most good nutritionist will tell you it doesn't do a lot of good to take a lot of supplements if you don't have your diet spot on first anyway. I'd say except for a little more protein to help you from losing muscle while on low calories, you're ok without the supplements. Good luck Earl
Most Active