I need serious advice.....ASAP

Tina C.
on 7/5/07 12:10 pm - Marysville, OH
Personal trainers..........worth the money ??? I'm at goal (below actually  ) and i will be heading to the Y and I would like advice from you all as to what works best.... I will be working on cardio and I know how to take care of that....but..... I need to tone overall but would like to focus on my legs....... and don't know where to start thanks a bunch      
Earl C.
on 7/5/07 12:40 pm - Circleville, OH
Most Y's in Columbus have weight training classes and also have people on staff to assist you in getting started. I don't think a personal trainer is necessary. Earl
Tina C.
on 7/5/07 8:08 pm - Marysville, OH
they have people here also but I thought advice from fellow WLS buddies might be helpful..... I get so intimidated going to the fitness center.....but.......gotta do it and not give a hoooey what anyone thinks
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/07 10:46 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

The staff at my fitness center will also help you learn how to use the various weight machines, as well as non-machine based exercises to tone and target your different muscle groups.  I think that's pretty common at most gyms.  And the folks at my gym have been great - I started going when I weighed around 340 pounds and they didn't bat an eye.  In fact, they've been very supportive and encouraging as I progressed along in my journey.   One additional comment about focusing on your legs; I spend a lot of time on the elliptical machine.  It's a great cardio workout, plus it's really helped me tone and build the muscles in my legs (quads, hamstrings, calves) and butt (gluts).  I do other strength training for my legs, but I think my work on the elliptical is key to my good muscle tone in my legs.  (Now if you could only see the muscle tone under all that excess skin!!!!)   Good luck on your continuing journey! Kellie

Tina C.
on 7/5/07 11:34 pm - Marysville, OH
the other people are great..I'm the one with issues  :eyes: is the elliptical machine like a stairmaster kinda thing??? my knees are not the most forgiving ......  one reason i don't do step aerobics...... i love the cardio groove (Y's version of Jazzercise)
Tamiwho40
on 7/6/07 9:56 pm - Simpsonville, SC
Hi, I am a member of the Y also.  They have a program that is called Wellness Works.  It is kind of like a personal trainer and free with your membership.  I went for my visit with them and she told me what I needed to do and how much I needed to workout.  I love the elliptical machine, it is more like your running.  It is supposed to be easy on the knees.  If your Y has a pool water aerobics are great also.  I was told since I am so big that it would be better on my joints in the water.  I was really suprised how much of a workout I got in the water.  On the other hand, a lady that has the same Dr as me, has recently gotten a personal trainer and she loves it.  He really works he tail off.  She is almost at goal and she is trying to get those last lbs off.  I hope this helps and Best of Luck

Tammy P.

li3Ruch
on 7/8/07 6:59 am
I have two friends *****cently used a personal trainer and LOVED It.  One had a trainer come into her home - just a one-time session to put together a workout for her on her own equipment.  The other friend used the personal trainer at the gym and about around 4-6 sessions for $30-50 to put together a program and teach it to her.  Then she can purchase more sessions when she's ready to adjust her program if she wants his help again.  Both of them told me it was well worth their money spent!!!

Beth   
                         ~ 245/160/135 (HW/CW/DW) ~ 

(Highest Weight, Current Weight, Dream Weight)  

I am a healthy BMI now and so I am happy.  I haven't decided yet where my comfort point is for maintaining.  I'm trying to lose more, but I may find out that causes me to have more restrictive daily diet and excercise habits than what I am comfortable with long-term.  It's all about choices!!!

Most Active