What to look for in a trainer

Kelli Chan
on 6/28/07 5:24 am - Ridgeley, WV
I'm considering getting a personal trainer. I am 6 weeks post op from plastics, and have been doing strictly cardio for the last 18 months. I want to start weight/strength training and have done some reading, but really am clueless about how much, what exercises to do, varying routines, etc. and thought a personal trainer would be of benefit. What should I look for in a trainer, and what can I expect them to do, or help me with? Will they develop exercise routines for me, and help me to work out properly? To be honest, Im a little afraid of what it will be like. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks Kelli 257/139/130 start/now/goal

Kelli
256/139/130?

Love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the 
money, and dance like nobody's watching

Joanna_F
on 7/3/07 9:46 am - Newport Beach, CA

Kelly: This is such an exciting time for you - you're near your goal and looking great!  As a personal trainer myself, I'll tell you what to look for: 1)  Certification:  Most CPT's (certified personal trainers) are registered with the American Council on Exercise (ACE) or the National Association of Sports Medicine (NASM).  Each of these organizations require that their trainers undergo specific schooling and testing prior to going out and working with clients.  Each organization has their own website with a searchable trainer list. 2)  Personalized Planning:  The first meeting with them should be an interview.  They should ask you about your habits (exercise, food, work, sleep, recreation), your goals (weight loss, cardiovascular strength building, etc.) and preferences (biking vs. swimming, morning workouts vs. evening workouts, etc.)   They should perform some sort of fitness testing to get a sense of where your fitness level lies to create a baseline.  That baseline is crucial so that you can mark gains in strength or endurance down the road.  3)  Rapport:  Go on gut - this is a person who you will want to feel comfortable sweating in front of and being yourself with.  A good trainer will be knowledgeable, sensitive yet motivating.  Someone who will work with, not dictate to you.  I'm sure you'll find someone great!  I am happy to answer any other trainer q's you may have.     

Hi!  I am Joanna Fee, ObesityHelp's Events Manager and the Managing Editor of Bariatrics Today magazine.  For the latest info on events, please visit OH's events page.  Please feel free to e-mail me with questions, comments or concerns about the events or BT magazine.  Thanks!  

Kelli Chan
on 7/3/07 10:19 am - Ridgeley, WV
Thanks Joanna I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, it was very helpful.  Is it reasonable to meet with a trainer, develop an exercise plan, and work with them for a short time and then continue on my own? To be honest, its the expense that I am concerned about. I want to go into this knowing what to kinda expect, and I dont want to insult anyone, so should I expect that if I commit, I am doing so for the long haul? I was kinda hoping that after a month or two, I could do the routines the trainer had developed, and "touch base" with the trainer every few months, is that reasonable? Thanks again for all your information, I really appreciate it! Kelli

Kelli
256/139/130?

Joanna_F
on 7/4/07 3:52 am - Newport Beach, CA

Hi Kelli: I think that working with a trainer for a month or two is absolutely fine in most cases.  Often people just want to know what equipment works which muscle, and then be shown the correct way to use each machine.  Once a trainer builds a routine with your input, you can take charge and begin to shape your own workouts.  A good trainer will welcome your "graduation" from personal training without guilt, knowing that you're then more likely to refer your friends and family.    One thing that you should do from the onset is bring a little notepad with you to jot down what strength exercises the trainer shows you, the type of cardio they suggest, etc.  This way you're starting an exercise journal.  I suggest that you jot down each exercise session - even if it's just in your day planner.  Short notes like "15 min jog/arms" will trigger your memory for what cardio you did, the duration, and what mucle group you worked.  After a certain period of time you should be able to either go for a longer amount of time or work out at a higher intensity.  This is for cardio - running, biking, walking, swimming, etc.  With strength training, begin to add weight in 3-5 lb increments, and try doing the same routines.  If you're getting wiped out before you can finish, lessen the weight a bit.  This will keep your body conditioned and will prevent plateaus. 

I am happy to answer any questions Kelli!  Keep us updated! -Joanna  

Kelli Chan
on 7/4/07 10:49 am - Ridgeley, WV
Hi Joanna, Thanks again for all your info, it has been very helpful. I think I am going to go ahead and meet with a trainer, and tell her what I'm thinking and what I'd like to work on and go from there. From everyone I talked with who has a trainer, they find it invaluable, so I'm going to go for it. I feel like I have been given a second chance with my "new" body, and I'd really like to make the most of it. I will keep you posted on how I like it and how its going. Thanks so much! Kelli

Kelli
256/139/130?

Rob S.
on 7/4/07 1:09 am - DE
Hi Kelli, I have been using a personal trainer for the past four years.  I stress cardio (cycling and running) in my daily routine and have an exercise routine plan from my trainer that I do twice a week. Because of the expense of trainer I get a trainer for two sessions every three to four months.  I then follow the plan she sets up until the routine becomes too easy or boring.  By keeping contact the trainer can add new exercises that work on different body areas. Rob
Kelli Chan
on 7/4/07 10:52 am - Ridgeley, WV
Hi Rob, What you are doing really sounds like what I had in mind for myself. After getting the basics down, I was thinking I could "touch base" every few months to change up routines and check progress. I really am a self motivated person, so I dont feel like I really need a trainer to motivate or hold me to task, I really am looking for their expertise and knowledge. Thanks for sharing your experience, it was very helpful. Take care Kelli

Kelli
256/139/130?

Most Active