Ladies! I need some advice

Jo C.
on 6/22/07 9:59 am - CABAZON, CA
I have just been approved for my consult and getting everything in line for the check off list so I can get my surgery date quickly. I've never really been one to work out but I know I need to..especially after having the WLS.. so this is where you come in.. Is curves a good asset for WLS ladies or should I stick with a major gym like 24hr fitness. Any help would be wonderful! Jo
Nancy S.
on 6/22/07 11:30 am - Rio Vista, CA
Hi Jo, Congratulations on starting on your weight loss journey. Especially being up front with yourself about exercise. You know when I was first beginning I did a lot of water aerobics classes. At first the weight and exercise machines were just too much for me to handle. If you are interested look online for something in your area. A community center, YMCA, or even the community college in your area. Good luch with your consult. Hope everything goes well for you. Oh what I wanted to say was that if I stick with a class I do much better staying motivated than by myself. Take care,

RealLosersAreWinners.gif
                       NancyS.gif

Jo C.
on 6/22/07 12:28 pm - CABAZON, CA
Thanks Nancy, I was thinking abou****er aerobics. I have been trying to locate something around me but no luck so far. I'll keep looking. I'm going to make a profile to keep people abreast of my progress. Take care, Jo
Neecee O.
on 6/23/07 12:29 am - CA
Congrats on your pending plans!  I am a non-op, but have looked into wls to the point where i feel like part of the group! I would say which gym depends on your lifestyle...do you tend to go a lot later at night or very early morning?  The Curves in our area don't have that great of open hour span. Does your 24 hour gym have more variety...classes and such?  To me, if you are already in that 24 hour gym, stay there for the variety. I am kind of a curves basher...only cuz it seems basic, great for people who are starting out and not into working out just yet.  I have never joined myself, just my view.  I have several friends who LOVE it and have been incredibly successful there.  I'm just kind of a work out animal who loves being outside more for exercise and have more endurance.  I've worked out for many years, so a 30 minute routine seems very basic to me. Again, great for beginners or people *****ally do not have that much time.
KTBee
on 6/23/07 7:32 am

Personally, I am a fan of Curves.  A study last year by Baylor Univ. found that less fit participants (beginners) burned about 200 calories in a workout.  While more fit participants  burned over 500 calories in their workout.  As soon as the doc gave me the okay, I headed to Curves.  I did the 30 minute workout and some stretching.  Now I work with a trainer and walk, walk, walk, do some water aerobics and continue to workout at Curves but for a bit longer just because I like it and can.  Curves offers a more advanced workout method after you have been working out for at least 3 months.  They also offer personal training at most Curves.  My kudos to Curves has to do with its convenient location, upbeat atmosphere, and the effectiveness of the workout.   They put a big emphasis on testimonials on the walls and I am impressed with their policy of required certification training for the owners and staff.  Previously, I have been a member of a gym.  I utilised the facilities daily and not once did any of the staff bother to know my name.  Curves is very personal.  It makes me more comfortable asking for advice because they take the time to visit with me and get to know me.   I would recommend that you try both on a trial basis.  Ask for a free week trial while you decide.  Whichever one you are the most comfortable with that also meets your needs is the one I would go with.  http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:h5lAvQAqQm0J:www.curvesclubs.com/PRESS.pdf+curves+new+workout&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us Katy B

mskaty
on 6/27/07 6:59 am, edited 6/27/07 7:01 am
Hi Jo, I am non-op like Neecee, but when I wanted to start to lose weight I was 428lbs!  I felt very intimidated by other gyms.  Joining curves was the best thing that I ever did.  I also invested in a treadmill for my home-also a great decision!  But, there did come a time, when Curves just wasn't cutting it anymore for me.  I wanted so much more.  I quit Curves and joined another gym, which I absolutely LOVE!  I did a lot of research when looking for this new gym.  I didn't want a Bally's type atmosphere.  I ended up joining a gym affiliated with a hospital.  It's so great.  I am very comfotable there, people know who you are, very polite and they are even larger and offer more classes, equip. then the Bally's, Gold's, etc.  To join, you are required to work with a trainer 3 times so that they can get a overview of your health, show you the gym and give you suggestions on how and what to execise in order to lose weight, gain muscles, etc.  I am there 2+ hours a day, 5-6 days a week.  I have lost over 200lbs in this whole process. Anyway, I would recommend Curves to anyone just starting and looking for an easy comfort level, or with limited time to work out.  Otherwise, I would say join a regular gym.  But do research. Good Luck! Katy
janiej
on 6/27/07 12:42 pm - Independence, IA

I started Curves as soon as my dr. allowed it (about 4 weeks after Lap RNY).  I also did water aerobics.  My starting weight before surgery was 275 and I had always been a pretty active person.  After about 8 mos of Curves I moved onto our Wellness Center for a more intense workout.  I think Curves is an excellent place to start -- not only their program, but just getting into that regular exercise routine.  Eventually I felt I needed something more.... everyone is different.  The main point is do something ... anything.... and as long as you're doing it make the most of it.  I'm now 3 + yrs out and exercise is more important than ever.   And you know what.... I love it... I even miss it on the days I don't work out.  I love that sweat... energy surge I get from getting my blood pumping.  Try different things... just keep with it... and good luck. Janie

Most Active