Advice on Hiking post-RNY?

Mike_WA
on 6/22/07 8:00 am
Hiya! I'm wanting to get into hiking now that I'm losing enough weight to make it more possible.  Any suggestions on trail mix that won't get stuck?  What about beef jerky, is it all that digestible?  What are your favorite dehydrated camp foods? Thanks in advance, Mike
Nancy S.
on 6/22/07 11:36 am - Rio Vista, CA

Hi Mike, Congratulations on feeling that you are able to go hiking again. What a great thing to have happen. Especially in WA state!! I found a couple of trail mixes at Trader Joe's without all the "candy" junk in them.  Still only a quarter cup per serving though. Didn't have too much trouble with the pouch handleing trail mix after the first 4 months post op or so and the same with beef jerky.  No problems. You do need to be careful with some beef jerkey's though. Make sure to read the label as some of them have too much sugar per serving. Keep it under 6 grams of sugar per serving. I think it is the "soak" that they use. Also beware of Monosodium Glutimate. It can make you swell and retain water. Yucky feeling. Plus I always keep a couple of protien bars on hand in the trunk of my car.  I love Power Crunch, but it has a coating that doesn't do too well in the heat. Sigh..... Good Luck,

RealLosersAreWinners.gif
                       NancyS.gif

Neecee O.
on 6/24/07 1:50 am - CA

Hi Mike...I'm a non-op, but an avid hiker! I would suggest that you bring iso-pure water with you to sip as you hike. This will kill two birds...thirst and protein needs. Even if you dilute it that will be great. Of course, be sure to test any trail mix before you get away from your car too far! Sometimes the activity may make your throat extra dry. Another trick I have, cut your favorite protein bar into tiny cubes and mix with nuts for your own version of trail mix.  Also, checkout your local bike shop for quik nutrient packets...as has been said, read labels to guard against too much sugar. Depending on how far you go, you will need some amount of carbs to help you finish your hike.  I use bariatric foods now as hike foods...the high protein soups are great, only need boiling or very ho****er. The protein drinks that need water but are in their own containers are awesome, too.

Whatever you do, eat and drink every 45 minutes to best sustain your energy. Even if you do not feel hungry...it will amaze you how much you need it.

Happy hiking!!!

Most Active