? about fitness equipment

brnballew
on 6/21/07 4:36 am - katy, TX
Ok, i have been putting away a little money here and there saving up for gym equipment.  I currently have a membership at Bally's but due to divorce and kids I cant make it in to the gym at hours they are open and i refuse to buy another membership say at 24hr when I have one at Bally's.   I have started looking around for equipment I have a spare room in my house to put it in, and wanted some input on what I should get. I have been to more than a few stores and for what I am thinking of spending this is what I found at Academy, and wany someone's input on the items  Please. Reebok bench and weight set - 99.99 Fitness Quest Bio Force Home Gym - 979.99 Either a recumbant bike or a elyptical (SP) machine not sure which one but looking to spend no more than about 300.00 that would put the cost of equipment around 1,500.00   Please give me your honest input.
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/07 7:38 am - Hawthorne, NY
Hey Sunshine ... whatever you want as long as you USE it.  I teach or train every day but NEVER used the ($2500 - Precor -professional level) equiptment I bought for home. However, what I do use at home with the whole family is my $99.00 bicycle.  That & a $9.99 jump-rope, an inexpensive set of hand weights and you are good to go ... just my 2 cents.
Earl C.
on 6/21/07 11:56 am - Circleville, OH
Ok...just my 2 cents... I think if you go cheap on the cardio equipment you'll never use it, so why bother. Just go walk or run. That home gym is a joke for 1000.00. You'll get more bang for your buck with a nice set of dumbbells and a good adjustable bench. If you get it used (the good stuff never wears out) you can set yourself up for probably less than 300 or 400.00 total. If you have a Play it Again Sports store the equipment is very reasonable. This isn't a commercial but a nice set of powerblock type dumbbells and a good adjustable bench for the average person is all you need and it takes up very little space.  http://www.powerblock.com/ Earl
Nancy S.
on 6/22/07 11:42 am - Rio Vista, CA
Hi  Katy, I say, get the equipment that you want.  But look around online for some equipment.  Newspaper classifieds, even garage sales. Seems like exercise equipment is always the things people want to get rid of first. (Cause they don't use them) Try ebay or Craig's List.  I would before I shelled out top dollar for brand new. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.

RealLosersAreWinners.gif
                       NancyS.gif

NoniOhio
on 6/25/07 10:14 pm - Xenia, OH
I agree with MaryT - it doesn't matter what you get - as long as you use it. My husband and I spent around $2000 on home gym equipment - and we find that we use the electric and complicated devices about 1-2 times a month (or less).  What I find that I do use at home are: free weights and work-out bench. I can feel  my body toning - and I don't have to turn on anything - set anything up and they don't take up a lot of space. If you choose this route - make sure you've worked with a trainer at the gym to make sure you're working with the free weights correctly (so you don't injure any joints or muscles). For home aerobics - I bought some workout videos teaching me how to dance. I like to have fun when I workout. Dance is something that interests me - so I chose those videos. Good luck! 
Most Active