treadclimber? treadmil buyin?

andy113
on 6/16/07 1:40 pm - Non-Op, SC

does anyone have experience with or know anything about treadclimbers? bowflex advertises them on tv all the time. basically i'm moving to a small town and starting my first real 45 hr a week job. i will belong to a gym but i am looking for a not-too-expensive machine to keep in my apartment for the evenings when i don't feel like going to the gym. i've never worked a real job so i'm expecting to be pretty exhausted the first few months - i've always been spoiled by living in an apartment that had a gym downstairs, so on long days i could go down at 10 pm and walk while i watched tv but the place where i'm living does not have any kind of fitness facility. or if you don't know anything about treadclimbers - can anyone tell me about how to buy a treadmill? i don't want total crap but something that will be safe and last at least a year. what about buying a used one from like play it again sports? i think i'd only use it for walking (if i'm too exhausted to go to the gym, i'll probably be too exhausted to attempt any kind of running). compact would be nice as well....

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/16/07 11:17 pm - Windsor, Canada
Can't help you with the treadclimber, but can with treadmills. When you buy a treadmill, buy at least : -a 2 hp motor. Nothing less than that if you want to beat the crap out of it. -a 20X55 platform that allows a natural stride and the possibility of jogging -at least a 3 year warranty. Many of the manufacturers are all the same so don't let a name fool you or impress you. Just don't buy cheap when you buy a treadmill. I paid about $1500 for mine on sale (regularly 1899) Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

andy113
on 6/17/07 3:50 am - Non-Op, SC
thanks for the info. a treadmill probably would be a better choice because there is a lot more range with what you can do with it than the treadclimber. i think i was just sucked in by the infomercial. i was on the Dick's website and found a number of treadmills with over the 2.0 hp that are reasonably priced and that fold up, which is very exciting.
Neecee O.
on 6/16/07 11:31 pm - CA

yes, you will be tired for the first few months! As you know, your exercise will help you maintain your energy levels.  I was going to suggest you buy a good bike and get the gear to set the bike up in your apartment that holds them in place (don't know what they are called).  Ride your bike after supper outside! IMHO, You are going to want to get outside more after being inside working all day. Anyway, that's how I feel about it. I too work 45+ hours a week, and my outside workout saves my nerves.

You know I am also going to suggest early morning walks before work. I'm guessing you still live in an inclement area, so you still need your inside set up.  best of luck, Andy!

andy113
on 6/17/07 3:53 am - Non-Op, SC

hey neecee! i actually was thinking about buying a bike when i get down there because there is a lot of nature and lakes and hills around there and i am looking forward to being outdoors once the weather is less sweltering. but again, bikes are another thing i know absolutely nothing about buying...is there a resource that can kind of tell you what are the best choices for what you need? otherwise i'll probably end up with whichever one i think is the prettiest...

andrea

Neecee O.
on 6/17/07 5:32 am - CA
For a bike inservice, my advice is to go to a bike shop.  period. They will fit you for possible bikes and help you buy the best one.  Plus, you cannot beat the service and guarantee at a bike shop for the long run.   Speaking of pretty...cruisers are IN again! There is one in lime green that I would buy in a heartbeat if i had somewhere to store all my bikes!  LOL. Hey, cruisers are not what they used to be, they can be very nice bikes.  Wish I could think of the brand I still may buy...has front shocks, seated like a cruiser, has 5 gears. It has hybrid tires. i think it may be a Specialized?  Hmmmmm I highly suggest checking out hybrids...the cross between road bikes and mountain bikes. That way, if you suddenly get serious about biking, you should be happy with the performance of a hybrid. That bike will bridge you thru getting REAL serious.  I own a Giant, love that bike.  It fit me the moment I sat on it.  You will know, just try a few out.
Most Active