Runner's Toe...

~Becky~
on 6/15/07 4:39 am - Little Rock Area, AR
Alright, I have a nasty lil' question.  I have been running for a lil' bit now.  And much to my manicured feet's dismay I have this unsighly black n' blue toenail.  I mean to tell ya, it's even showing through my Thrill of Brazil polish!  Soooooooooooo...my questions: 1) How did this happen? 2) Will it go away? 3) GASP Will it fall off? Talk about crampin' my flip flop season! Thanks~
Blessings~
Becky
Neecee O.
on 6/15/07 11:35 pm - CA
My toes have begun to do this as well! I am a fast walker, but never before has this happened. I've been walking/jogging for 21 years! Mine have not fallen off yet, just look ugly. Weird.
Judy B.
on 6/17/07 7:38 pm - Marion, VA
I also have a black and blue toenail on one side.  I seen my doctor about it, he said, because there was so much pressure on the big toe when i walk so much , i have developed a slight ingrown toenail that has caused a hematoma (blood pooling) under my toenail and that is the reason it is black and blue.  It isn't sore mind you, and i push back the cuticle on the side of the toenail after i shower, the black and blue is finally starting to leave. The doc told me that if it got worse, the nail would probably have to come off.  As far as falling off, He said it won't , but told me he may take it off if it gets bigger.. It hasn't yet.  He told me to soak my foot in epsom salt for 20 minutes a day..and it has helped with any soreness ( i don't have any yet)  and it will help the hematoma to shrink.   Becky, don't worry, it will eventually heal on it's own, but if it gets worse, please see your doctor. hugs

RNY (8-15-05)
Tummy Tuck (anchor cut) [6-19-07]

debrat262
on 6/18/07 2:10 pm - Los Angeles, CA
The best way to prevent black toenails (which are bruises underneath the nail) is to buy good running shoes a size larger than what you normally wear.  For example, I wear 8 to 8 1/2 shoes for every day wear, and my running shoes are 9 to 9 1/2.  There should be 1/2 to 1 inch between your toes and the end of the shoe (about a thumb's width).  Make sure there is plenty of room in the toebox so you can wiggle your toes = buy wider widths if necessary.  Men's sizes go all the way up to 4E width.   In my opinion, running shoes provide more support than walking shoes, and that's what I recommend to my friends.  Spend the big bucks and your feet will be happy.  A good pair of running shoes will last up to 600 miles. Debra 26 marathons and counting.

Lapband 5/21/04; Eroded Band Removed 11/18/06; VSG 1/06/07

Scott William
on 6/20/07 9:39 pm
I agree with Debra.  I ran a marathon in Jan with shoes that were too small and my toe is still black and blue.  Those shoes were picked out at a local running shoe store but I did not try them on first.  I assumed that since they were Asics and my other shoes were Asics, they would fit the same.  Well, that is not how they build shoes.  After going to a professional shoe fitter, I got new shoes that are 2 sizes bigger than I wear normally.  My marathon shoes were 12 1/2 and these are 14 1/2 and feel great. As far as the toe nail, it will grow out but 6 months later mine is not totally grown out.  When you look at it use it as a positive.  "Look at my toe.  I'm a runner".   Scott
Most Active