How do you get addicted to exercise???

Kenna C.
on 6/7/07 7:30 am - Demopolis, AL
I wish I were addicted to exercise. I hear some many people say they are. I wish I could change my food addiction for a workout addiction. Any ideas? I am struggling so with making time for exercise.

New year...New  begining..............

celinejen
on 6/7/07 9:36 am - Kirkland, WA
It's a hard one. I don't know. It's like the more I do ( the more I see results ) the more I want to keep doing it. I didn't used to like it, now It's like a drug. I have to have it. You have to make time for it ( no excuses ) That's how I was before too. Even if you just walk a half an hour and then increase it the 2nd week. Your doing your body good. Something is better than nothing Try it....... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

From: 216  Now: 125   From: 38C Now: 32B From: Size 16  Now: Size 6

Lois S.
on 6/7/07 12:02 pm - Neenah, WI
For me, I started out with walking and water aerobics.  I enjoyed the social aspect of the aerobics more than the exercise itself. The walking became more enjoyable when I added my MP3 player with really upbeat songs from various Shape CD's. The tempo pushed me to keep up with the tempo, and before long, I was challenging myself to walk a block and jog one. Then, walk 1 and jog 2, etc.  I then started jogging and got my first "runners high"!  It was amazing and kept me motivated to have it again and again.  I am 3 years out now and still achieve them.  I have learned that my head is clearer, my attitude is positive, I'm happier and I have a little more pep in my step.  I'm pushing myself one further on Sunday and participating in my first triathlon!  Find your motivation, maybe with a friend!  Everyone has to find their own niche!  It's there!
Neecee O.
on 6/7/07 11:44 pm - CA
First off, beleive you CAN get addicted to exercise! I cringe when I hear people say "I've always been this way" - that is negative self talk in disguise.  Change that thought...thoughts are very powerful. Also, when i first started my daily exercise, my inspiration was a 78 year old man (Bob) who jogged around my neighborhood.  Somehow, it occured to me watching Bob, that exercise is for as long as i live, not something that stops after I lose weight.  If you been around more than a couple weeks, you may read some of my posts that basically give a personal exercise program FAR more credit in OTHER body health areas:  Exercise is not only for losing weight. Take that notion and put it lower on the list.  Exercise does so many things: stress relief immune booster curve, tone maker bone builder builds capillaries all over your body to take work off your heart helps cells get rid of oxidation improves thinking clears up skin helps digestion improves sleep patterns helps with portion control (unless you are a competitor or have 2-3 hours a day to work out, you are only doing some slight damage control!)  looking at that list, how could anyone NOT believe how wonderful exercise is and make time to do it on a regular basis. To me, it is the basic belief that it does wonderful things.  Secondly, it takes a commitment to form a new habit. If you *always* come home and flop onto the couch and flip on Dr. Phil, it's time to establish a *new* habit...walk in the door and put on walking shoes.  What worked for me was to designate early morning as MY exercise time.  It is sacred and very few things will usurp what that time is designated for. I began by designating a half hour, then over time, added to get to to at least an hour.  Best of luck to you.  Give yourself a gift - start today!  I will leave you with a thought...if you had (God forbid) a heart attack tomorrow, i wager you would make the time to recover and change your life. You would do whatever it took, right?  me too.  let's both cut to the chase scene and get moving.
Neecee O.
on 6/8/07 12:10 am - CA
i cannot believe i missed the BIGGIE!  Exercise gives you energy. My DH was blown away at this. he walked for a couple months with me and was marveled.It is a seeming contradiction, but it is the best benefit yet.
Ronda
on 6/8/07 7:12 am - Wilburton, OK
I am truly addicted! I can't believe it, I usually run/jog/walk 3-4 miles 5 days a week. I am trying not to overdo it, but the days off I really miss it. Like the other posts have said....the more I see results, the more I want to do more.  Do some social exercises first, and then do some alone for some "thinking" time. You should start seeing the inches melt away and that could be your encouragement. Good Luck!!
li3Ruch
on 6/9/07 12:21 pm
If you can stick with it long enough you will get addicted.  It took me about 5 months to get addicted.  I wondered what was wrong with me most days and had resigned myself to hating 30 minutes of each day, but I granted myself that I could handle disliking 30 minutes for the benefits it gave me.  I reasoned that I was willing to take the risk of death to have this surgery and save my life so I was going to get my butt up on the treadmill.  I had some days I just couldn't make myself do it, and some days that I could have worked harder, but 90% of the time I worked at it 100% and now I really enjoy it.

Beth   
                         ~ 245/160/135 (HW/CW/DW) ~ 

(Highest Weight, Current Weight, Dream Weight)  

I am a healthy BMI now and so I am happy.  I haven't decided yet where my comfort point is for maintaining.  I'm trying to lose more, but I may find out that causes me to have more restrictive daily diet and excercise habits than what I am comfortable with long-term.  It's all about choices!!!

Earl C.
on 6/10/07 12:59 pm - Circleville, OH

Trying setting up an appointment with yourself to exercise every day. Treat it like it's life or death that you don't miss that appointment. Don't miss your appointment. In a month or so...it'll be a habit.

waterman
on 6/17/07 8:47 am - Jacksonville Beach, FL

I have been going to the gym regular for going on 6 months now. I started out after surgery by walking. I gradually started jogging, and now I jog/run more regular. I enjoy aerobics and I have a schedule I keep at the gym. I read fitness magazines and articles on the internet that keep my mind focused. If I miss a day that I have scheduled, I feel out of balance and feel like I missed out. I look foward to my workouts and feel great afterwards. In the beginning, I found the aerobic classes kept me there for a full hour and I enjoyed them so much that I kept comming back. Now you couldn't keep me away. I'm goaling myself and looking foward to the Jacksonville Florida ruver run in March 08, a 9K run. I did it about 10 years ago and will do it again in 2008. Get addicted!

The Waterman

Most Active