???s about exercise.

Dragonfly7
on 6/4/07 3:53 am

I have started walking 25-30 minutes every other day. I know it is not much but at least it is something and better than nothing. My question is...... What were you all told to start of doing and for how long? How much has it helped? Did you go to some web site or predetermined plan for getting yourself in gear? And what other helpful info can you share about getting in shape? Thanks for all input! Wendy BTW...What is the deal with exercise balls? I thought I heard some where it would be good to have even for just sitting at your desk and working. Any one heard this as well and what do you think about it?

Carla W.
on 6/4/07 6:42 am - CA
RNY on 05/08/06 with
Everyone is different when it comes to exercise but you should do what you are comfortable with and just increase it overall time... Yes the big ball is a great tool expecially in the early stages. it helps you modify you exercise plan to your level and you can kick it up a notch as you improve.. bands are great too for start out. Just sitting on the ball helps promote body alignment, strenghtens your back, leg and tummy muscles cause you have tom antain body alignement while you are on it. its a great choice for just starting out..

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Earl C.
on 6/4/07 11:45 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Wendy, Basically, most are told to start walking whatever time or distance you can tolerate. Like Carla said everyone is different and has a different starting point and tolerance to exercise. If you think 30 minutes is easy, walk faster or longer. You should be building up gradually anyway adding time and distance as you lose weight and get healthier.  I think working up to 1 or 2 - 45 minute to 1 hour walks a day is a good goal while still in losing mode. To maintain you won't have to do as much...but probably will do more anyway.
Dragonfly7
on 6/5/07 12:40 am
Hi! Thank you both for the support and sharing! It seems like I am doing things right then? Starting out and working up to longer amounts of time?
Most Active