cardio or wt first?

JustJo
on 5/31/07 11:28 am - Effingham, IL

I have exercised ever since my surgery almost 3 years ago and have belonged to 2 different gyms.  I sometimes just do outdoor exercising, such as walking or bike riding, lawn mowing, etc.; and when I go to the gym, I generally do a combo of cardio & weight training (machines, as well as a little bit w/ free weights).   I find it absolutely incredible that, at my age (57), I am doing this--since the most exercise I ever got pre-wls was walking the aisles of the grocery store.  I am NOT passionate about exercising--I still really don't like to--but I know it is essential for me.  I am struggling w/ some weight gain and know it would be even worse if not for my continued exercising. Now to my question!  I have gotten conflicting answers to this, even among "gym rats," so I'm just looking for the expertise of those on this board.  On the days that I do both cardio & wt, what is the best order to do them?  I try to work out about an hr., but sometimes just get in 45 min.  Cardio first, last, or mix up the cardio/wt over the course of the session?? Thanks!

Always,
Jo

Cards Fan
on 6/1/07 1:01 am
Jo, There are differing opinions out there on this subject - much of it has to do with the level of intensity of the weights/resistance training one is doing that day.  Let's say for example that you plan to work on upper body...arms, chest, back.  If your cardio is on the treadmill, eliptical or stationary bike then it will make little difference on your workout whether or not you do it on the front end or the back end.  If you're working legs, likely the best strategy is to save your cardio until after weights and resistance.  The exception would be if your simply in the habit of using the cardio as a light warm-up...going a brief time and little to no resistance level.   Getting those muscles warmed-up and loose prior to hitting the weights is definitely a good idea in order to get the best results - but doing so should not fatigue your muscles in any way...you want to be at full-strength to ensure you're able to perform the necessary sets and repetitions with the desireable amount of weight/resistance. For what it's worth, if I do cardio on weight/resistance days, it's always at the conclusion of my workout.  My weight/resistance workouts are full body every other day (with one recovery period weekly that spans two days instead of one) with cardio on the off days.  Depending on how hard I've pushed on the weights, I may or may not choose to do cardio on the weight days. Best wishes! Cards Fan "STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!"
JustJo
on 6/1/07 1:56 am - Effingham, IL
This makes sense to me--I think I get it--thanks so much for your reply!

Always,
Jo

Chris G.
on 6/1/07 1:40 am
This is a very common question, and one that even exercise physiologists struggle with at times.  This is an actual quote from my undergraduate exercise physiology class textbook, "Concurrent resistance and aerobic training programs yield less muscular strength and power improvement than training for strength only...These considerations, however, should not deter those who desire a well-rounded conditioning program offering the specific fitness and health benefits available from both exercise training modes." If you are trying to gain strength from your weight training, try to wait about 20-30 minutes for a recovery between aerobic and strength training.  If you are not going for strength, just the health benefits, then it really doesn't matter.  It just depends on what you want to get out of it.  Cardsfan has it right when he said that your muscles should be warmed up before you do ANY kind of exercise, whether it is aerobic or weights.  As for your weight gain, while increased muscle from weight training does increase your base metabolism, you will find that the majority of your weight loss will come from aerobic (cardio) exercise.  Try this routine, it has been shown in research to help: -Warm-up for 3-5 minutes at a slow pace (about 30% of your top speed) -Run,jog,cycle, at about 95% of your best effort for about for 30 seconds -For 90 seconds, slow back down to your warm-up speed -Repeat 5-7 times. Research has shown that people who do this kind of interval training lose more fat than those who just do slow and methodical aerobic exercise. Good luck!
JustJo
on 6/1/07 2:00 am - Effingham, IL

I appreciate your explanation and get what you're saying.  I've been reading a lot about the interval training advantage, so thanks for reinforcing that.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                                                       

Jo

Always,
Jo

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/07 7:11 am
Most Active