Superman or Cobra position

Kelli ~.
on 5/28/07 11:40 am - Atwater, CA
My trainer has me doing this Superman position, where you lay flat on your tummy, arms on your side with palms down and you lift your legs, upper torso for about 15 counts. Let me tell you it's hell!! My main concern however, is that I have the lapband and I have the port and it's straining that area, I am worried about the port. Anyone else using this type of exercise and is banded? Or anyone using this technique at all and what's it's success? Kelli
WINNIE THE POOH

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/07 9:36 am
I've done it and I really don't think the superman really accomplishes anything. And if it hurts your abs I wouldn't do it.
Chris G.
on 5/30/07 1:30 am
I've spoken with my academic advisor about this, and he and I came to the same conclusion, which makes me feel better posting.  There are other types of core exercises that you can do to not put so much pressure on your abs, because we both feel that any pressure that you are exerting on your stomach/abs is putting pressure on your band.  How far out of surgery are you?  Also, ask your trainer how much experience s/he has with bariatric surgery clients and how knowledgeable they are about your condition.  Again, I don't know how much you've discussed with your trainer and how far out of surgery you are, but I feel comfortable saying cardio should be your main focus.  If you are a couple years post-op, then you probably could do some core exercises...but I feel that your surgeon would be able to tell you how much pressure the lapband you have can stand and what types of exercises you can do.  I really hope I helped.
Kelli ~.
on 6/1/07 2:28 pm - Atwater, CA
I am 1yr and 4mths out from surgery and I have lost over 200lbs. I can definately feel my port now more than ever before, I guess with losing the fat it's easier to feel. I explained to my trainer about feeling uncomfortable, and he said that if I continue to feel that way, that we will not use that type of core exercise. I have been doing core now for 4 sessions, and I like them cause I am burning fat again, I was doing cardio for a like a year now and I can tell my body became too adjusted to the workout, so I got a trainer to boost my strength and although I am sore...I am loving the new strength. Thanks for the reply! Kelli
WINNIE THE POOH

Most Active