A New Journey

Gabby W.
on 5/15/07 1:22 pm - Chicago, IL
I am seeking advice for beginning an exercise program. At present I have lost over 200 pounds. I have maintained this for nearly three years and haven't gained an ounce. I recently discovered that I haven't plateaued and can still lose weight. This has inspired me again and I find myself wanting to get the remaining pounds off if possible. Only this time, I'd like to add exercise to my regime. In addition, I have been consulting with a plastic surgeon regarding my excess skin and I believe exercise would be a welcome addition my daily routine. I welcome your suggestions. Thank you.
Neecee O.
on 5/15/07 9:50 pm - CA

wow! you da woman!!!!  walking is one of the easiest, cheapest ways to get started. I'd suggest 30 minutes a day, if that's too much, go for 15 and build up til you hit an hour most days of the week.  After some time, think about incoporating light weights - you can do this at home. Th elibrary or the used book stores literally have hundreds to choose from. I recently checked out one of  Leslie Sansone's books, very good reading about exercises without belonging to a gym.  I love biking, also very good if you have any joint issues. For me, i love being outside and feeling like it's not exercise.

Best of luck. Exercise will help your excess skin issues to a degree, of course.

Maryland
on 5/16/07 5:06 am - Rockville, MD
You will find that exercise will really, really help maximize the results from plastic surgery!   If you haven't exercised in a long time, you need to start off slow and work your way into fitness. I agree, walking is a great way to begin.  You also need to start weight training.  It is very important to help you maintain and increase muscle mass.  As you become more fit, learn your likes and dislikes, and more about exercise science.  You may also want to hire a trainer to teach you how to properly use weights.  It's very important to do them the right way.  It would be a 1-2 time expense.  Then you could do it on your own. Also remember that as you get more fit, you will be adding muscle and reducing fat, and this may actually slow down your weight loss.  But that's OK, because you will be changing your body profile, and will look twice as good.  So don't get too hung up on pounds.  Inches are just as good, if not better. It will be very important, if you have PS, to be in the best shape you can possibly be.  So exercising really helps reduce risks and complications, in addition to improving your results.   Go for it!  Good luck.
Chris G.
on 5/17/07 5:29 pm
Neecee and Maryland are absolutely correct.  Aerobic exercise (running, walking, jogging) that you can tolerate is best for reducing fat.  Personally, I recommend Taiji (Tai Chi) for it's enormous health benefits.  It is an aerobic exercise, burns fat, increases your body's ability to fight infection, reduces falling, fights osteoporosis, treats arthritis, increases balance, increases muscle, and the list could almost go on forever.  It is also easy on the joints.   In some cases, as Maryland pointed out, pounds are not necessarily the best marker for how you are doing.  Muscle is more dense than fat and the scale may discourage you.  If you go with a trainer for weights, look for a trainer that will measure your percent body-fat with calipers or another way to measure body-fat.  Inches lost and body-fat lost are better indicators than just the scale.   Be sure though to train with weights (there are books, magazines, videos, iPod videos, etc.) so that you can begin filling out the skin with muscle and it will make your surgery easier on you also.  Good luck!
Gabby W.
on 5/18/07 11:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Thank you all for the suggestions and positive reinforcement. I have a lot to learn and it seems I am in wonderful and knowledgeable company! I have been seriously considering undertaking yoga which I believe will aid with flexibility, internal calm, and be a gentle way of adding exercise to my daily regime. I particularly loved the feedback regarding the scale. As many of you know, the number gets stuck in our head and it can be difficult to think about physical fitness and general good health in other terms.
Most Active