Tips? Advice?

Dana H.
on 5/8/07 2:24 am - Eau Claire, WI
Hi, I am just a bit over 1 year post op (Bypass), and have reached my goal of 170lbs.  That is officially 180lbs from my top weight.  As a result I now have sagging skin, but the plastic surgeon doesn't feel that my insurance will cover the removal of the skin.  It will take a miracle to be able to afford it any other way, so is there any exercises that I can do to in ANY way help tighten my thighs or stomach to eliminate the folds.  Creams?  VooDoo?  Anything?     I'm desperate to get some relief. Thanks! Dana H.
Maryland
on 5/9/07 4:16 am - Rockville, MD
You can do all the crunches and exercises you want, but they will only help tighten up your physique - which may actually increase your loose skin.   Are you exercising at all?    The exercising will definitely help define your body and give you a better look.  I have found that running really helps the abs, especially the obliques (the sides).  I do a walk/run/jog combination.  But it won't get rid of the skin. I had to pay out of pocket for my PS, but it was really, really worth it.  You don't feel finished until you've gotten rid of the excess skin.  And exercise will absolutely ensure that you get the best results. There are financing options available these days, plus you can take out a home equity loan.  Or just start saving.  I know it's a lot of $$$.  But you've already overcome enormous obstacles to get this far.  You can figure this one out, too.  Just don't rob a bank or anything!  LOL.
Chris G.
on 5/10/07 11:40 am
Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to help your loose skin.  The above poster was right in that  exercise and running can actually help you lose more weight and tone your muscles, which will increase the loose skin.  See if your surgeon can try to see if your insurance would cover it...there may be that miracle that you need.  All they can do is say no...just be sure to check each and any option you may have.  If you have the ability, there are online savings accounts that pay a lot of interest (more so than a traditional bank) and put away money in that when you can so that it can keep gaining money.  Good luck! Chris 2nd year M.S. Exercise Science student
nnnancy
on 5/10/07 11:51 am - Peyton, CO
Hi, Dana! This won't get you PS, but it may help you feel bettrer about how you look in your clothes....www.lipoinabox.com sells compression garments, originally designed for PS patients, and now, thankfully, sold to the rest of us! I find them really comfortable; I wear mine every day ~ two pieces, the cami and the high-waisted capri, every day. It REALLY makes a difference for me. Also, has your loose skin given you any medical problems? Many people develop yeast infections in the skin folds. This makes skin removal a medical necessity which most insurance companies will cover. Good Luck! Nancy  
Most Active