Where to start?

Judy P.
on 5/6/07 11:42 pm - Evansville, IN
I'm 2 months post op gastric bypass...   I'm not sure what I should be doing.  I've never been someone that enjoyed exercise and in the last 5 years I've led a pretty sedate lifestyle and I hated, hated, hated gym in school.  I do walk, but it's with my dogs and a 4 year old so it's nothing that really gets my heart rate up.  I can't see (nor at this time afford) putting a bunch of money into a gym membership and would like to do things with the equipment I have. (we have a weight machine and a lot of different weights and dumb bells and a cheap stair stepper thing) What should I be doing?  I do some stuff with weights and I have a weight machine, but nothing is routine and I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right, or if I'm doing enough or too much. Which muscles should I be working and how many times a week should I do it? Do you work one set of muscles one day and other set the next? I guess what I'm looking for is a routine with a set number and type of exercises and how often I should be doing them...  without the expense of a lot of equipment.  Is there a website out there that can help me find exercises that are right for me without having to buy a bunch of some  exercise gurus videos? Also, (prepare for the whine) do I need to just get used to the aches and pains from working out, or does it eventually get less painful when the muscles get stronger?
Neecee O.
on 5/7/07 12:10 am, edited 5/7/07 12:10 am - CA

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/Cardio_Workouts. htm This site is pretty good - lots of good clear instruction! As for soreness, i use ibuprofen before i do a new exercise or a hard one, and take another dose after. It does help! The soreness will not go away completely, if you do what you should do, which is switch off every once in a while and challenge many muscles groups. Yes, you will get stronger, but still, when you awaken muscles that have not been used, get ready, there will be a certain amount of discomfort! You will learn how to manage that "good kind" of pain, but it does not have to be so much that you can't function.  That is not necessary. If you feel *that sore* a lot, you are likely overtraining! In your case, start slow, choose like two things from two areas of the body to get used to:  let's say leg lunges and push ups. Add in a daily walk of at least 15 minutes, try to get to a half hour.  I am a gym-disliker, tho they certainly have great uses - variety, classes, instructors. I so much prefer exercise outside and even better, that doesn't 'feel" like exercise:  hiking, biking, swimmin, etc.

But accept that certain things should be done several times a week:  abs stuff, arms. Come back and let us know!!!!!

Maryland
on 5/7/07 7:34 am - Rockville, MD
One of the great things about being an adult is that you don't have to put up with the retarded high school approach to physical fitness!  You can do what you like and how you like, just paying attention to good form and exercise techniques.  I HATED gym and certain sports, but I love working out.  Why?  Because I do it my way, for me.  I actually became a certified aerobics instructor at one point in my life.  Exercise can be fun, and it makes you feel great.  You just have to find out what you like and explore it. That being said, you do have to work hard at it to see results.  One thing that I found really works is to set goals and rewards for yourself.  Focusing on a goal gives you a great incentive to keep going, and rewarding yourself is teaching you to be good to yourself.  Us WLSers always tend to put others first, and never take care of ourselves.  Well no more!  Reward yourself when you get down to a new dress size!  Buy a new dress, buy some jewelry, get a massage, go on a cruise.  Whatever.    It makes the pain worth it. Also, start out slow.  Realize that getting in shape is a long process (months).  And your body responds most to consistency.  Working out 3 times a week is better than working out hard for one week and then taking two weeks off.  If you miss a workout because you don't feel good, don't sweat it.  But don't miss 3 in a row.  The cumulative effect of working out on a regular basis adds up.  Also, buy an iPod or something.  Adding music can make a huge difference.  I create my own workout playlists with music to suit difference rhythms of exercise:  weights, rowing, treadmill (walking/running).   Also think of this as YOUR time.  You are working out - no one is allowed to bother you.  You can get on your equipment, put on the music, and just be by yourself for a while.  Just think of exercise as a new way to be good to yourself.  You deserve it.  Go for it!
Chris G.
on 5/7/07 12:05 pm
The 2 posters above are correct, do this for you.   There may be some discomfort from time to time, but realize the discomfort is better than other things that can happen.  In fact, the soreness is something that you dread because you know it's coming but in the morning, it actually is something you can deal with.  It's like a good pain (if there is such a thing). As for what you are doing, walking the dogs and the 4 year old is actually a good start.  Low to moderate intensity aerobic exercise is good for losing fat. The weight-training aspect of fitness is a little more complicated.  I recommend working all muscles of the body in 1 session just because of the convenience.  Here is a sample exercise session you can try: Warm-up: Jumping jacks for about 3 minutes to increase blood flow to working muscles Jogging in place for about 2 minutes at a comfortable pace Stretch after warm-up Work-out: Body-weight squats or dumbbell squats (weights at your sides while you bend down like you are sitting in a chair) (3 sets of 12-15) Heel-toe raises (2 sets of 12-15) Push-ups (2 sets of 12-15) Crunches (2 sets of 12-15) Stretch after workout ( a good stretching website is http://www.womensheartfoundation.org/content/Exercise/stretching_exercise.asp) If you can't do the recommended number of sets and reps, then start out with 1 set for the first week and gradually build yourself up.  Remember though that these are exercises that are for beginners and as you continue to work out, that your needs will change also.  Hope I helped!
KTBee
on 5/7/07 12:58 pm

Terrific advice has been given.  I would just add two things.  If you have had gastric bypass, then absolutely do NOT take ibuprofen or aspirin.  They will tear your pouch up.  Tylenol is allowable. The other is consider renting or buying some exercise videos off ebay.  Body for Life's website has some good exercise advice.  Just remember to go slow.

Katy B

Judy P.
on 5/7/07 11:09 pm - Evansville, IN
Wow... thanks for the advice.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to go canoeing..  haven't done that in probably 20 years.   Though my 4 year old did most of the work spinning us in circles, it was a lot of fun and I'm feeling it today, but the sore muscles aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I do have an IPod, so I'll use my sit down time working on a playlist that suits my routine... finding the time to get by myself to exercise without being disturbed will be the challenge, but I'll do it if I have to start getting up before my husband every morning and taking care of me first. Thanks again...  I needed the encouragement!
Sandsma
on 5/8/07 9:46 am - WA

I am posting for the first time - I'm pending insurance approval and am TRYING to get moving. I'm swimming once a week or so, doing sit and be fit exercises for 30 minutes 5 days and week, and using my pedometer to measure my progress.  I need some advice on working thru the pain of my arthritic knees and hips. Now that I have been moving more for the past 30 days, I seem to be having more pain going up and down stairs, getting out of chairs, and getting into and out of cars. I;m trying to tell myself to foxus on the gain, not the pain, but I need some pep talk to get me thru this! Anyone have any advice?

Maryland
on 5/9/07 3:56 am - Rockville, MD
Have you asked your doctor about using Condroitin and Glucosamine?  They really do work (they even worked for my dog), but can cause some problems in some people -- so check first. Also, please look into either buying or finding somewhere that has a jacuzzi or whirlpool tub.  My gym has a whirlpool in the locker room, and it is a godsend.  I can really feel the difference when I use it.  If this is a long term problem for you, you might want to consider buying.  But try it out first and see if it helps. Some pep talk:  doctors say that exercise will really help diminish arthritic pain.  So just go nice and slow and build up muscle, and I think you will feel a big improvement in your quality of life.  So hang in there!
Most Active