Where do I start??????

Cherry4
on 5/4/07 3:53 pm
Hey There, To be brutally honest I have not excercised for about 4 years. since then I was diagnosed with ashmtha.... I am 6 weeks post op and developing bat wings already.. I am joining the gym on sunday ..what should I expect ??? I think I wwill only be able to do about 5 minutes ..will they all laugh at me?? Thanks x

DEE

HW/SW/CW/GW    280/278/158/140

highmaintenance
on 5/4/07 11:45 pm - Waverly, OH
Hi, I just posted about the same message before I read yours - it looks like we are in about the same situation.....I'm 290 and have about 112-132 pounds to lose.  I have NO idea where to begin.  I'm afraid I'll have a ton of saggy skin when I'm done.   I'm having surgery in 4 days and want to get off to a good start.  I hope someone has advice for us both. Congrats on your weight loss so far - 45 pounds is GREAT!
BETH
Starting weight - 292
Lowest weight - 152
Current weight (pregnant with 2nd VSG baby) 178
Baby due 3-2011

Neecee O.
on 5/5/07 1:04 am - CA

Hi cherry! well if they do laugh at 5 minutes, find a new gym!!! I really think you will be able to complete 30 minutes at 2.5 0r 3 miles per hour on the treadmill!  Don't over do it to minimize soreness, but getting upright with keys in hand to go out that door is the hard part.  Once you are there, I'm betting you will feel so wonderful.

best of luck - come back let us know how you did!

rainsom
on 5/5/07 5:32 am
Hey Dee,   When I first started I couldn't even stand five minutes. No one laughs ( at least not when I can see/hear them)  and once I was able to increase my work outs, many of the dedicated body builders and weight lifters would pass by and say  one or two words of encouragement. It will take time, but you will probbly get to really enjoy working out.  You will have to experiment on what you need to do, also going at different tiems of the day  make a big difference.  I hadn't exercised in 15 years, and now I can't miss more than one day a week! Just take it easy at first Good Luck
Earl C.
on 5/6/07 9:27 am - Circleville, OH
You know...I've worked out in a lot of gyms over the years...and I've never once seen anyone point and laugh at anyone. Most people are too worried you'll point and laugh at them to point and laugh at you. Yes, you'll see the hardcore guys tease each other, but that's more about being an obnoxious guy buddy thing, than abusing new members. Most people in gyms are very helpful and generally love to share their knowledge, so don't be afraid to ask question or ask for assistance if you need it. Good luck. Earl
CarolineAnnMartin
on 5/6/07 1:01 pm - Collegeville, PA
Earl is absolutely right... Having worked in a gym for nearly a year after getting my certification as a personal trainer, my experience has been the same.  People are too concerned about their own workout to really take much notice of anyone else... As for where do you start, you start simply by showing up. Don't make promises to yourself that you won't keep or can't maintain for the long haul. Starting out, simply tell yourself that you will go to the gym twice a week. Just show up and see where you go from there... :) Caroline -225 lbs @ goal and maintaining Certified Personal Trainer

http://Facebook.com/CarolineAnnMartin

Maryland
on 5/7/07 7:08 am - Rockville, MD
Because I was so out of shape, I started at home first.  I began to walk, slowly increasing it to where I was walking 30 minutes every day.  I bought a rowing machine (that could handle someone over 250 pounds) and started rowing - first just 5 minutes and then increasing it to 20 minutes.  Rowing is great for heavy people because it doesn't stress your joints. When I got down to about 215, I started back at the gym, doing weights, rowing, and the treadmill. I started walking on the treadmill, and slowly increased the pace and distance. I probably could have gone back to the gym sooner, except I had walking pneumonia, and really wasn't up to it.  But take it at your own pace, and listen to your body. 
Most Active