Lose the Cardio, Lose the Weight: 1 Dr's view

Divine Lady
on 5/2/07 8:35 am - Suburb, MI
One doctor's view on Cardio for weight loss.   The dietician from my surgeon's office told me the best thing I could do for myself was to do resistance training since it permanently increases your metabolism through muscle building. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Diet/story?id=3034686&page=1
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
Divine Lady
on 5/2/07 8:46 am - Suburb, MI
Need to Clarify: This guy is not a doctor but their was a doctor on a tv program that backed him up but that doctor said that cardio was the best exercise for the heart and resistance training was the best for losing and maintaining weight loss and so we should do both.
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
Neecee O.
on 5/3/07 12:09 pm - CA
Hi there!  Interesting article!  I read that to say that intense cardio is not so good. And I so wholeheartedly agree with THAT!  Every one of my friends who were runners are exactly that...were runners - their backs/hips/knees gave out years ago! I'm still fast walkin! As you point out in your next post, both are important, neither has to be over-done to get the results most of us want. I am a big supporter of doing as much variety as you can stand - stretching, resitance, cardio, mix it up every week and your body will thank you. I've also learned that control eating is the number one thing about weight loss. Exercise is down on the list, it's only one support to losing weight!
CarolineAnnMartin
on 5/6/07 8:09 am - Collegeville, PA
ABSOLUTELY true!!!!!  Cardio is GREAT for a healthy heart but is terrible for weight loss as it doesn't burn as many calories as people think, plus if you aren't weight training in addition to doing cardio, you will lose muscle and this is terrible for metabolism. In the longrun (no pun intended), If all you are doing is cardio, expect to have trouble getting to goal and maintaining your weight loss.... Weight training is VITAL to PERMANENT weight loss.... :) Caroline (Certified Personal Trainer) -225 lbs @ goal and maintaining for almost the past 3 years

http://Facebook.com/CarolineAnnMartin

Divine Lady
on 5/8/07 7:52 am - Suburb, MI
Caroline, Thank you for your response.  I appreciate getting information from a person in the profession.  I am considering getting a personal trainer.  Years ago I was a work out addict.  I loved the way resistance training sculpted my body and the best feeling was the strength that I felt.  I want that feeling back again.  I am so out of shape now that I am afraid that I can't get it back on my own.  My legs snap back into shape pretty fast because I was an avid skater for so many years.  The rest of my body is a different story.
Divine Lady
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/07 5:33 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I think we need both.  We need the strength training to build the muscles, and cardio exercise to turn them on to burn calories/fat.   Tami
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/07 1:41 pm
No offense but I think your wrong. Read this http://www.cbass.com/fatburn/fatburn.htm
Most Active