I need some help

Judy B.
on 4/27/07 10:45 am - Marion, VA
Hi everyone I have been doing great with my workouts on a daily basis...did start taking a break once a week.  I am still going strong at it and loving every minute of it...however, i started noticing a few weeks ago some pain in my left shoulder that was moving into my chest region..and i could hear a grinding noise when i would go to do shoulder rolls and lifting my weights over my head.  And the pain..owie!! So, today I went to see my doctor and he said I have bursitis in my left shoulder.  He gave me a cortisone shot in it and i can already tell a little difference in the pain in it....Does anyone know if I should just keep going with the weights for my arms or should i slack off until it heals up a bit? I forgot to ask my doc about it.  Maybe I should ask him on Monday.  But I wanted to get your opinions about this...thinking that someone here may have this problem too.  Any advice is appreciated. Hugs

RNY (8-15-05)
Tummy Tuck (anchor cut) [6-19-07]

Neecee O.
on 4/28/07 12:08 am - CA

For sure, call the doc.  I had some severe shoulder pain once from weights and for me, I backed off certain exercises for a while.  Shoulders are hard to "rest" - you use them all day long.  It took my issue 6 months to go away.

Good luck - hope it goes away quicker for you!

Judy B.
on 4/28/07 1:34 am - Marion, VA
HI Neecee Thank you for responding.  I still done some arm exercises this morning...but i slacked off on the exercises that work the shoulder muscles and that was a hard one to do.   I will definitely consult my doctor on Monday to ask about this.  Maybe he can offer me some physical therapy and they can show me some exercises i can do that wont further injure me.  Yes the shoulders are hard to rest.  And I am afraid i will over rest them and cause them to be too stiff.    6 months!! Wow...How are yours now?  Do they ever hurt you?   Thanks again

RNY (8-15-05)

Neecee O.
on 4/28/07 5:48 am - CA
No, they don't hurt any more.  That was ~7 years ago.  But i learned a lesson - mine can't take certain moves, and I verified it with a trainer at my gym at the time.  He showed me movements that greatly tax the shoulders and I try to avoid those.  I don't lift anymore or do circuit training, yoga only, so I'd have to think about what those hard on the shoulder moves are.  Seem like he said to avoid moves that are out away from your body either to the front or up above - to the side is fine.  of course, I was always pushing my weights - going higher and higher, also not good.  But doing light weight work did not get me the same feeling of accomplishment.  I've learned a lot now to appreciate all the conditioning and not going for the gold alla time! I lifted for 12 years the last stretch, had lifted for shorter periods other times. 6 months here and there, that kind of thing. I loved lifting, will probably get back into in someday.  Loving my yoga, the flexibility work has opened lots of doors for me physically.  Weights were taxing my joints, so it was time for me to step away.
Judy B.
on 4/28/07 6:03 am - Marion, VA
I am glad to hear they don't hurt you anymore.  I think I am going to try to avoid the weights for a while and any of the movements that totally involve the shoulders.  At least until I heal up and then take it very slowly with the movements at the shoulder area...maybe not do the weights on those movements..just the other movements that don't involve that area.  I do think physical therapy is probably in the making for me , at least they could give me some great tips.  Thank you so much for replying back to me.  I so look forward to any suggestions you may have. hugs

RNY (8-15-05)

Most Active