I know this may have been asked before...

ke4peo
on 4/24/07 6:24 pm - Nashville, TN
I'm 6 months post-op, 11/20/06, and down 102lbs in that time.  But I'm starting to notice the scale isn't moving and I'm curious if that's just because I've stalled...or if I'm losing fat/gaining muscle.  My waist size is decreasing, but not the weight. Here's my current nutritional info: Avg calories/day: 1000-1200 Avg protein/day: 80-100g Avg carbs/day: 90-100g (nut said about 33g per meal) Avg fat/day: 30-50g Here's my current workout routine (in the order I perform it):  Done 5 days a week (Sun-Thur) Treadmill:  30 minutes, 3.5mph, 5% incline Swimming:  20-30 laps Mid-row: 2 sets of 10 reps, 50lb weight Sitting Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, 50lb weight Incline Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, 50lb weight Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, 50lb weight Overhead Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, 50lb weight Butterfly (pectoral): 2 sets of 10 reps, 50 lb weight Leg Press: 3 sets of 15 reps, 150lb weight Abdominal Crunches:  3 sets of 15 reps, 60lb weight Side Crunches:  3 sets of 15 reps, 50lb weight Additional Exercise:  Done 2 days (Fri/Sat) Bicycle Ride:  8 miles, between 10-15mph Someone suggested that I might be dealing with 'survival mode' and need to up the calorie intake to compensate for the exercise.  But, honestly, I don't see how that won't result in gaining weight due to increased calorie consumption.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Or perhaps a revised workout routine that might help start the weight loss again?
Earl C.
on 4/25/07 1:56 am - Circleville, OH
Hey You've done great! Couple of questions... Are you a man or woman? How much did you weigh and what do you weigh now? Just off hand  I'd suggest a couple of things. Keep the walking, swimming and bike riding in the program but change the weight training. It's ok to weight train 5 days a week but not full body like that. First if you can do it 5 days a week the intensity isn't great enough to be doing you much good. I'd up the sets and weight and split it up working half the body one day and the other half the next and taking the weight training to 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off. Eat the same number of calories but instead of 3 big meals,  eat 5 of 6 smaller meals. Same calories but it will increase your metabolism. Good luck. Earl
ke4peo
on 4/25/07 8:49 am - Nashville, TN
Thanks for the reply, Earl. I'm male.  Started at 418lbs on the operating table.  Currently down to 318lbs and that's where it's stalled.  I'd been thinking of switching up the weight training routine to alternate upper and lower body work.  I.e. - work upper one day, lower the next, repeat.  The only reason I'd been doing it every day is because I can, and my doc said to get in at least 20 minutes of exercise a day.  He didn't specify what kind.  :)
Earl C.
on 4/25/07 12:02 pm - Circleville, OH
Well, if you have time, ramp it up a bit. Stay with the cardio stuff, walking, swimming and bike riding everyday, but maybe add to the time or intensity. If you're stalled you would be amazed at what a twice a day 45 min cardio session would do to unstick you. It's not so much how many calories you're burning during the exercise, but it jacks up your metabolism, so you're burning fat even while you sleep. It's not something most people have time to do long term, but it's a good way to get the scale going down again for a month or 2. Upper/Lower Body split is a good place to start. Just workout 4 days a week though.  upper body / plus cardio lower body / plus cardio rest day but do cardio upper body / plus cardio lower body / plus cardio Rest - Bike day Rest - Bike day Increase the amount of weight you use on all your exercises...gradually. Also since you're splitting it up you'll have time to do more sets or exercises per bodypart. Increase the number of sets gradually also. If  you get all your reps...the weight is too light...add more weight the next set or the next time you workout.  If it was easy, everyone would do it. Good luck Earl
Waterwench
on 4/28/07 2:42 pm - portland, OR

Hey, ke4peo--I love your pic! The Doctor rules. From what you've written, it sounds as though you are decreasing your size as evidenced by a smaller waist. Don't be too hung up on the scale. That is a trap! Make sure the carbohydrates you eat are complex, such as whole grains, raw or steamed vegetables, and whole, fibrous fruits--no applesauce here! You could swap some animal protein for beans, lentils, etc.

The thing about exercise is that after a person has done the same routine for a while, the body becomes accustomed to it and is ready for a greater challenge. You might try increasing the weight or the number of repetitions, amping up the incline on the treadmill, etc. You want to sweat when you exercise, and feel that you've used your muscles well when its over. Then you get the pay-off of Endorphins! :)

I just had WLS last month, but I am in the healthcare field, so I'm not just making these ideas up! Best of luck to you in your quest!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Most Active