Exercise instead of Plastic Surgery??

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/07 2:26 am

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am lookin ginto getting WLS done, and am meeting my surgeon in two weeks. I have been doing research on Plastic Surgery after the WLS and I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has toned theirselves and got rid of most of the arm flaps by working out?? Can it be done?? Or am I looking at possible 3-4 surgeries after my WLS?? And if Excersice can be done what kind are good for neck, arms, breasts, and thighs?? Thanks so much!

Carla W.
on 4/23/07 7:09 am - CA
RNY on 05/08/06 with
Skin is an organ so you cant tighten it through exercise. It will bounce back some in time after you loose weight depending on you age and the amount of excessive skin you have. In truth my arms dont look to bad and with exercise I have increase the size of the muscles under my skin.. so in a sense my arms look toner but that isnt what it is.. its the extra muscle mass of my muscles.

I have lost 130 pounds and I will need a tummy tuck. my butt is saggy and I have some sag on my inner thighs but not enough that I feel I need surgery. I hope in time some may spring back as I am only a year out and the rule is it takes about 2 years to see the final results. Hope that helps

Jennifer K.
on 4/24/07 12:58 am - Phoenix , AZ
Here is how I feel... no matter how much exercise you do there will be parts you will not be happy with... its a matter of what you can and cannot live with. I work out with a trainer and tone myself.... well... the top of my arms are GORGEOUS...the bottom - horrible! I can work out the bottom of my arms until the cows come home and it doesnt make a BIT of difference... I went from 288 to 178 and only lost 2 inches in my arms... *shakes head*.... its definately important to exercise because you want the areas to be the best they can but do not expect any miracles. I am going to the PS in two weeks to get a consult for a LBL, arms, breast lift and possible implants.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Chris G.
on 4/24/07 11:48 am
Just know that muscle and fat can be in the same place at the same time.  There's absolutely nothing you can do to lose fat in a certain part of the body.  There are tons of exercise options though, but realize that even after you have WLS or lose the weight through exercise, if you have a larger part that you don't like (like the arm flaps), you probably will have that still.  Extra skin is something that almost everyone who has had WLS has had to deal with.  If you lose the weight through exercise, it's more likely that your skin will recover better because of the amount of time that it would take to lose the excess fat.  Plus the muscle you would be building through exercise would fill out the skin better than if you just had the surgery. There are exercises for some of those parts, but total body exercise programs are going to be your best bet in order to lose weight effectively.  You can't work your breasts as far as I know, but you can work your pectoralis major (your chest muscle) with push-ups, benchpresses, and stuff like that.  If you lose weight through an exercise program, your breasts will reduce in size if that is the result you would like.  Here's a quick list of some exercises that can put you in the right direction. Upper Body: Push-up, Bicep Curls, Tricep Dips, The Plank, Reverse Crunches, and Shoulder Shrugs Thighs: Squats, Weighted Squats, Quadraped Leg Lifts (like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant), and Side Leg Lifts I hope this helps!
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/07 12:23 pm
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I am going to try the excercise route, but first I have to go through the surgery. I really appreciate all your replies. Have a greeat week!!
Most Active