Questions

deniseg
on 4/24/07 1:47 am - Monticello, AR
Hi Judy, First I want to say congrats on being so faithful to your workouts!  I find that once I get started, its hard to stop...but getting started is sometimes the problem.  With all the exercising you're doing, you could be building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.  That could be why the scales are not moving.  Do you measure yourself?  If not, I encourage you to do so.  I measure once a week and when my scales are not moving, my inches are!  I typically lose 3-5inches a week.  I bet you're losing inches like crazy. If you want to really challenge your muscles and tone, you need to increase your hand weights periodically.  This is what I do.  When I work shoulders, back, and arms I do a pyramid workout.  I do a set (15 reps) with 3lb. weights, then a set with 5lbs., then a set with 8lbs., then a set with 5lbs., then a final set with 3lbs.  A muscle will respond better if you vary the intensity, rather than doing 100 reps of the same thing.  Does that make sense? One more thing, you should allow at least 24 hrs. for your muscles to "heal" after working them.  When you work a muscle, it actually tears slightly and needs time to heal itself before being worked again.  So if you're working your arms, say 3 times a day, you're not doing any more good than if you worked them only once every day.  Now, if you're working different muscle groups each time you workout within a day, then that's great.  But I would only work each muscle group once a day, otherwise you're sweating for nothing. You'd think that with all I've learned over the years about exercise I'd be better about it.  I've never disliked exercise, I just always gave up on it because I never saw results...because I was never committed to the diet part.  Now, after having RNY, I'm totally committed to the diet and I'm now seeing results from the exercise...its a wonderful feeling. Hope this helps you some,

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Judy B.
on 4/24/07 11:01 pm - Marion, VA
HI Denise Thank you so much for the response!!  I am going to try to alternate just like you have suggested.  I think i have been overworking my shoulder muscle in my left arm as it is hurting me to the point it is hard to exercise it..but i still try.  i rested a bit yesterday so today it feels some better.  And today i have lost 4 pounds..Water weight I am sure. so maybe now I have broken through that plateau so to speak!! I haven't measured myself, but I am going to go today and buy a tape measure and start doing that.  I have had people that know me to say that i am toning up alot! So , I guess the exercising is doing some good for me.  Hubby notices and comments all the time, and he sees me everyday. so I guess that says alot.  I am too critical of myself for my own good.  I am awaiting plastic surgery consult may 9th, so maybe after having the excess skin removed, i will be less critical and more confident!  Thanks for your support and the suggestions.  I do not take them lightly.  Good luck in your continued success with the RNY and your exercise regimen hugs

RNY (8-15-05)
Tummy Tuck (anchor cut) [6-19-07]

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/07 8:53 am - Miramar Beach, FL

You say you just got started back to exercising about 3 weeks ago.  So, what might be happening is that your body is hanging onto water right now.  Your cells need water in order to utilize the glycogen stores.  Your best defense against your body holding onto water is to drink *plenty*.  It's even more important when you're exercising, and sweating.  So drink up! Tami

Most Active