I am dizzy too

Jennifer M.
on 4/16/07 6:17 am - Union, KY
I had my surgery 15 weeks ago and I have lost 69 lbs. I have been gtting dizzy for a few weeks now. I have been exercising 4 - 5 days a week and eating about 900 calories a day. I haven't had any testing done yet  but I am supposed to have my blood work done in June. Could it be something related to low blood levels or is it just that I am not eating enough food.
Neecee O.
on 4/16/07 6:45 am - CA
I am a non-op, but if it were me, I would make sure my blood levels were good, esp iron and calcium.  You can cut back on exercise or eat more. How much do you work out now? If you do an hour, cut back to 45 minutes.  Make sure your surgeon knows what you decide and bounce it off him first. If you have more weight to lose, he will want to help you make the best of it.
Earl C.
on 4/16/07 9:19 am - Circleville, OH

900 Calories is considered starvation level diet. I know you're still in that window, so I'd still take advantage of it and keep the calories low but make sure you're taking your vitamins, especially B-12 and iron, women need more Folic Acid too. Drink lots of water and get protein at every meal. I would get my blood test done early to check for vitamin deficiencies.

Carla W.
on 4/16/07 10:13 am - CA
RNY on 05/08/06 with
At 4 months out I am amazed you are able to eat 900 calories personally. I was lucky to get 600 in a day. I agree.. I would stay where u are as far as calories.. make sure you get lots of protein in and just dont over do it. Keep you water levels up too. If you know you are gonna have a tough workout you might want to eat a spoonful of peanut butter before you begin to help you stay up for the workout. I still get dizzy at 11 months out as you see my earlier post.

I dont have a lot of fat left and I am still only eating around 1000 calories with 12 plus hours of workout a week. I know I need to increase my calories, but I am being causious about that as well. I saw my nut and doc two weeks ago and said I was doing fine. that I shouldnt go above 1200 cals when I am ready to maintain. I still wanted to loose 10 more pounds although I am not sure I need to.

So I am still in that window of about 1000 to 1100 calories. I did get worried the other day with the dizzy thing going on and I realized I had dropped my cals again by accident to about 800. As everyone said here I do need to increase, but I am also at goal with a good basis..

I would keep plugging along like you are doing and just keep an eye on how you are feeling.. if it doesnt stop.. you may want to speak with your doc and see what he says. Every doc is different with different philosophies. in the past it has kind of come and gone for me.. just like right now.. i am not getting dizzy like i was last week. just the way the wls crumbles I guess.

peacefuldaizy
on 4/17/07 2:19 am - South of Buffalo, NY
It could be dehydration ... It also could be a lack of calories depending on how much you are working out.  Also, I've been diagnosed with hypoglycemia since I had GB ... So be careful about that.  I had never heard that we can develop hypoglycemia b/c of GB, but it's a problem for some of us.  If you are dizzy, contact your surgeon or doctor.  I think your calorie count is great ... The person who works out 2 hours a day and eats 1000 calories per day is unhealthy.  Sorry, but that is just not healthy. Annette
Jennifer M.
on 4/17/07 5:37 am - Union, KY
Thank you for all of your ideas. I did speak with my nut and she said I should up my calories by a couple hundred, but I have cut back on the cardio some and that seems to help a little. I want to stay healthy, and I know I am getting enough waterso it has to be something else. So I guess I will just call my surgeon to double check on everything Thank You, Jennifer
Earl C.
on 4/17/07 3:20 pm - Circleville, OH

I forgot about the hypoglycemia. I used to crash in the middle of my squat workouts a few years ago and figured out if I have, like an oatmeal cookie with peanut butter, I could finish my workout without passing out. I always thought it was the healthy fats settled my stomach and digested slowly and the carbs and sugar in the cookie raised my blood sugar quickly when it would drop. I was a type II diabetic before WLS and never had those issues. I don't seem to have them now, but every once in awhile I feel a little nauseous and light headed during a workout and eating a couple of bites of a protein bar seem to snap me out of it. The last poster just reminded me of that. Earl

newnatalie
on 4/21/07 11:30 am - Barnegat, NJ
I have had the same problem with dizzyness, expecially when getting up from being seated, it turns out my blood pressure is low when I feel that way.  Maybe 86/48 or something like that.  I am 13 months post op. losts 163 at this point.  I have found that if I ingest some salt, all the dizzyness goes away.  I spoke to my surgeon last month about it and he said your NEW system processes salt differently through your kidneys.  So, I just take a little extra salt in (i.e. sunflower seeds or peanuts, or salt on other food) and the problem goes away rather quickly.  It brings my blood pressure up to 100/60 and I feel fine.  Speak to your surgeon and monitor your blood pressure and you should be fine.  Good luck.
Most Active