Surgery Denied and looking for alternatives

jadwrigh
on 4/11/07 12:09 am - Lebanon, IN
My appeal was denied and so I am not going to have surgery (at least at this time). I was looking at having the LapBand. I am 28  and weigh 262 so I have about 100lbs to lose. I am still motivated to get this process started. I know that I have lifestyle changes to make and I want to start incorporating them IMMEDIATELY before I lose the motivation. Is there anyone out there who has gotten the weight off w/o surgery? Does any one have any recommendations that have worked for them in the past? I am open to about anything at this time. I know that I have to add exercise but like all of us... I am too heavy and too tired to do much at this time. 1/4 mile walk and I am breathless. I have never tried any medications before... I am considering that route. Anyhow, any success that anyone would like to recommend I am open to. Thanks... J
Neecee O.
on 4/11/07 11:10 am - CA
come check out the non-surgical board!  I have just used appetite suppresants.  They work well, for w ahile.
KS-Julie
on 4/11/07 11:17 am - Haven, KS
Hiya,      There's a Non-Surgical forum on OH if you want to visit us.  We're friendly and don't bite. ;-)  There are even a number of WLS folks who hang out with us.      I don't know if you're the type of person who does better with a cold turkey approach or better with gradual changes, but here's what I would recommend working towards.      Try cutting your calories to 1,800 for a period of time before trying anything lower.  Eat like you're an RNY patient: protein first, veggies second, fruits third in priority.  (Processed sugar is Satan! LOL)  Divide your daily intake into 5-6 roughly equal snacks so that you never go too long without eating.  Shoot for 100-120 oz of water each day (will help cut the hunger).      And I know it's hard (I have bad feet/knees myself) but cardio really is the key to getting that fat off.  Breathless is good...I was breathless this morning on the treadmill, and I was breathless this evening at the gym for two hours (elliptical and both bikes).  The thing is if you don't keep your heart in a cardio range, you're not getting the cardio benefits, so as the weight comes off, the cardio has to become harder and harder to get the same benefit.  The first time I ever tried an elliptical, I only lasted 5 min and thought I was going to die, so I only increased my time on it by one minute each session (now I do it for 40 regularly).  So even if you have to start extremely low in intensity and time, find something that will work for you and start building your endurance.  A minimum of 2,000 calories out from cardio in a week is what many of the medically-supervised weight loss programs preach, so I'd set that as a goal to work slowly towards.      As for medications, I really don't recommend those.  Relying on appetite suppressants and/or fat blockers isn't really good for your body (lots of side effects).  And when you stop using them, people tend to regain rapidly.

Julie     "It's never too late to be who you might have been." -- George Eliot

KTBee
on 4/28/07 8:51 am
Have you checked out the insurance forum to make sure you don't have any other recourse?  I was told that the first appeal wasn't usually the last possible one.  There are even attornies who deal with insurance appeal. I found a lot of info there when I needed it.  Would there be any difference in your insurance request if you were having rny?   I wouldn't give up just yet.  Good luck Katy B.
Most Active