Ab exercises

ShariFt.Lauderdale
on 3/31/07 6:45 pm - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I'm 6 wks. post RNY and have been going to the gym 6 days a week,seeing results already! I need some ideas for ab exercises, I'm not comfortable getting on the floor yet...can barely do a crunch...afraid I'm still too large to workout on an exercise ball....any suggestions?
~Beautiful Dreamer~
on 3/31/07 10:43 pm - Pinellas County, FL

Ab Exercises: Luckily for us (or is it unlucky sometimes? :D) the abdominal muscles are used in almost if not every movement we partake in.  They are one of the key players in our body's core muscles.  So while you can "focus" on them to get them to that "burn baby burn" state to tone and build that muscle up, you can work on them with every movement you do. At this point in your recovery, do not worry about targeting that specific area.  While targeting is great for muscle toning and building - it is unlikely to improve how much of your mid-section weight is reduced.  This is because your body will take whatever resources it needs from a variety of areas that are more convient and easier to extract from.  This is why many, including myself, encourage taking measurements because weight comes off so finickly! Add in crunches when you are able to if you want to, but for now just consentrate on proper form and keeping your abs tight when you are doing your normal work out. :)  If they have trainers at your facility, inquire about consultations and see what they suggest to help you get the most benifits from working out! Keep up the good work!

ShariFt.Lauderdale
on 4/1/07 11:28 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Thanks for the great advice, I appreciate the ideas and will try this during my workouts. 
Most Active