Yoga help needed

mrgiedrnkr
on 3/8/07 1:01 pm - NE
I posted this on the lapband board but then thought maybe I should check here too!!   My gym offers yoga and I am really interested in it but I am SKEERED  :)   What do I wear?  Do I need a mat?  What is it like for someone who is out of shape?   I think that I would really like it but can't get the courage to go to the first class.  Any encouragement is welcome!

Stacy

mrgiedrnkr
on 3/8/07 1:04 pm - NE
Found some of my answers here!  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/a,messageboard/act ion,replies/board_id,5104/cat_id,4704/topic_id,3229879/ Would still be interested in the clothing & mat questions.

Stacy

Neecee O.
on 3/8/07 1:40 pm - CA

Your gym probably has mats for your use at class so you can check it out. I bought mine at Ross for like $8, so you can try there. Or TJ Maxx. Clothes:  ideal are sports bra, long style, with a close fitting tank top over that and stretchy pants, not baggy. Tee shirts bag out when you're doing down dog and the people behind you will never be the ame after seeing your "girls" reach for the floor, too!  LOL Don't pay any attention to the pretzel people who can bend and do it "just right". Ask your teacher to hover over you and help with modified poses so you can get the bottom line benefit of the pose.  Don't get to class late - ever. Yoga is also about mind relaxation and somebody rustling in when you're trying to get your breath right, tension tamed sucks. Lots of teachers won't let anyone in if they don't make the last bell.

I love it! If you like it at all, get that book, Moving Toward Balance"  check it out on amazon - used one. I got one for my friend for like $10!!!  Wonderful book that shows all kinds of modifications.

mrgiedrnkr
on 3/9/07 12:22 am - NE
Thank you so much for all of the advice!!  I am going to have to take the plunge and just go for it!

Stacy

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/07 3:19 am
I've also been thinking about yoga, but I just can't picture myself doing it. I found this web site yesterday and if you click around, there are a lot of descriptions of poses and exercises, and a lot of them have animations showing you how to do them. I think my gym has a beginner's yoga class, but I'm still debating. I hope you love it. http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogabeginnersguide.asp
colderbythelake
on 3/14/07 4:36 am - Duluth, MN
At our lap band meeting Monday we had two really wonderful vistors who teach yoga.  It was great.  We did a whole hour of yoga.  I've done some yoga before.  We did Kundalini Yoga.  I'm intersted in a book Kundalini Yoga For Weight Loss and looking into.  Also because I'm getting my back straightened out I am looking at a book on Yoga Heal Your Back and I'll probably try to find the dvd's for this as well.  The two gals were great and I know one of them is a nurse and has been doing Yoga for about 14 years. I am skeered too as I am intemidated by the montras and mudras and this crazy song they sing at the end of each class.......................... Kathleen

"The most important words we'll ever utter are those words we say to ourselves, about ourselves, when we're by ourselves. ~ Al Walker
Most Active