Gym VS. Curves

tjstar
on 3/8/07 2:35 am - Forest Lake, MN

I was wondering I am pre-op but looking to get into an exercise program for before and after WLS. Is going to the gym and doing cardio and weights better then Curves? The gym in my town has a strengh cercit(sp). Is this better then weights. I don't want to become a weight lifter or body builder but would like to get some tone. All advise would be wonderful.

thanks

Tamara

NOTHING tasts as good as thin FEELS!    Tamara;)  

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/07 4:57 am

I go to a gym that has a real comfortable atmosphere - no thongs or speedo-looking outfits. I have friends that go to Curves and they like it, but I think they go around in a circle and do the same thing every time, and they had to sign a contract to pay for a year. I pay by the month ($25.00) and can cancel at any time. The little guy that works there (I call him Li'l Hitler) tells me to change my routine so I'm working different muscles on different days. I do some cardio for about 30 minutes and then go to the weight room for 15 or 20 minutes. I think most places will give you a free visit to check it out before you join, so maybe that would be an option.

Earl C.
on 3/8/07 6:45 am - Circleville, OH

Hey Tamera, I would get a free trial membership to each place for a week or so each. If they won't give you a free trial membership, go somewhere else. Most gyms do. I still think it's possible in a big city to go from gym to gym for a year or so and never have to pay a membership fee. Curves and a regular gym are 2 different animals and most people like one or the other. Go workout about the same time of day you would as if you joined, so you can tell if it's too busy for you or not. Gym personalities change with the time of day. You have your morning crowd, lunch crowd and after work crowd. I like the in-between lunch and after work crowd. Curves is more regimented and boring (to me). No variety at all. The people that like it, like it because of the social aspect of it and no mirrors or men. You'll have more options in a regular gym, but they're not for everyone. Good luck. Earl

Neecee O.
on 3/8/07 11:17 am - CA
I would say Curves is better than nothing. Maybe i need to go and see for myself, but i tend to agree with Earl.  Boring. However, sounds like it is fine for what you need! By all means, try Curves - I hear lots of good things - especially the food plan counseling, so it is definitely worthwhile for a beginner or a person who only wants an in/out experience. That is a big draw - only thirty minutes, very effective! Free weights are the shizzy for my money, because of the balance and intensity control needed to do it right.  The down side is, one needs lots of training on form.  Circuit training helps amateurs to deal with the form issues, so that is the easy way for people to get the benefits. I really got into free weights, for 12 years, in fact (among other shorter periods of time) . My joints began to ache, so I laid off about two years ago. Now I do yoga - more like yourself, just want the tone, flexibility.
katie7294
on 3/12/07 3:25 am
A combo of weights and cardio is really the best thing.  Usually you would try to mix it up.  Do some cardio every time you work out, say 30 mins for example...than do upper body.  Next time you go, do cardio and lower body.  I always throw in some abs , cause the belly can get mighty soft mighty fast.  That is what I do.  It is important to build muscle as well as burn calories....the more muscle you have, the more calls you burn and the better your metabolism is.  It all works together.   I've never been to a Curves, so I can't help you with that part. Sorry
BethanyCF85
on 3/12/07 3:46 am
Hi Tamara!  I personally think it all depends on what you feel comfortable doing.  Curves is a great workout.  Actually, I work at Curves and have worked here for almost three years.  At the typical Curves...the client goes around 2 times.  I've been to other gyms before such as Gold's.  I feel more comfortable working out at Curves compared to other places.  I work at two different Curves and we have several ladies who come to workout that have had gastric bypass.  We really try to encourage and motivate all of our clients.  I think that Curves is great....you get a total body workout including your cardio and strength training.  The Staff at Curves really tries to get to know our clients and be their support.  I think that's the main difference between Curves and other gyms.  At other gyms the support system may be lacking or may not be there at all.  Curves specializes in the needs for women...and women need to be motivated and praised when they'e succeeded in something great...such as fitness and weight loss!  I hope this helps out a bit!   Bethany
Most Active