Treadmill enough?

DetroitGirl
on 3/6/07 10:31 am
Hi all, I'm new to the board and still in the research phases, but am looking at having RNY. I'm wondering about exercise after surgery. i understand it's an integral part of the process and am wondering if walking on a treadmill will be "enough". I work full time and go to college at night, so while I do actually have a gym membership, I'm very often not in the mood to drag myself out afte work and class. i do think, however, that i could get myself on a treadmill while i watch tv before bed (my goal would be an hour on the treadmill every night - I watch at least an hour of tv everynight before bed, so this seems like a good balance). If I could maintain a schedule of walking at least 5 out of 7 days a week, does it seem like that would be adequate? Or is this one of those things that's really specific to the individual?
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/07 5:05 am
I'm sure no expert, but I've been told you need weight training in addition to cardio. I have a treadmill at home that I use a lot, and I know it helps because I can do so much more than I used to, but I go to a gym 2 or 3 times a week, and the trainer there keeps telling me how important the weight training is, especially when you're losing weight rapidly. It builds muscle and helps keep your metabolism going,and will help keep you toned to lessen the effects of that extra skin you may have. I didn't know how much stronger I've become since I started lifting weights in May last year until I did some yard work this week. I had several bags of mulch, I guess they weigh 25 pounds each. I used to make my husband carry them and pick them up to pour out the mulch, because I could barely drag them. Well, the other night I didn't even notice until I was finished, but I just yanked them up and put them over my shoulder and poured that stuff out and spread it, and didn't even think about it. So I know there are a lot of benefits to the weight training, as well as the cardio. The guy at the gym also tells me not to work the same muscles more often than 24-to-48 hours apart, to vary your routine through the week.
Most Active