Steroids, Bad word or not?

kmedal
on 3/5/07 2:03 am - Milpitas, CA

Hi Guys

I’m a little over four months out from my Roux-Y Gastric Bypass, down 100lbs yea!

Of course with all that fat gone and going, I am starting to hang, you know flab’s of skin.

Before my RNY I did nothing for my health. Now I go to the Gym 6 days a week. I’ve been doing that for three months now and I have a personal trainer. I do cardio and weights. I am very, very weak. It’s going to take me a long, long time just to get in some sort of shape.

I was thinking and doing research on steroids to help me work out harder. I was also thing of why not build up some muscle to fill in the lose skin instead of PS.

My researching is finding out the moderate use of steroids for muscle building is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. Like any drug, abuse it and it will screw you. I am 51 years old and I do not want to be a body builder or a muscle bound person. I want to fill the void where fat use to be. I do not want to go under the knife for PS.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Ken

10/31/06 Roux-Y Gastric Bypass
Heaviest Weight: 325, Now 158
Diabetes, type 2, Now Gone
High Blood pressure, Now Gone
High Cholesterol, Now Gone
Sleep Apnea, Now Gone

Earl C.
on 3/5/07 9:53 am - Circleville, OH

Hey Ken, I saw this posted on the Men's forum too, but thought the other guys gave pretty good replies, so I stayed out of it. If you had asked me 20 years ago my answer would probably be different than what I'm going to say now.

Don't even think about it!  It's not necessary.  You're only 4 months out and lost 100 pounds. You have to give your skin time to catch up. At 51, that may not  happen. Filling in the void works to a certain extent, but at your age and weight loss you might not have any other option but to live with it or surgery. But give it time. But mainly,  it's illegal and nobody in their right mind will tell you go out and break the law. 3 months of steady training is great. But you're just getting started. If you do everything correctly it can't take 5, 10 or 20 years to reach your maximum potential...when you're young. At 51 it might take a little longer. Again, give yourself some time to build. At 4 months out, you're still not taking in enough calories or protein to build much muscle or strength. I understand you don't want to be a bodybuilder, but you feel weak. Get your trainer to start you on power and strength building instead of bodybuilding. You'll build muscle but be stronger, faster than what bodybuilding can do. At 51 it's easier to get stronger than bigger. If you're working out 6 days a week with weights that's too much and you'll never get stronger or bigger if you keep tearing yourself down. You grow when you're resting. Good luck. Earl

Most Active