How do I start?

Bethany A.
on 3/3/07 9:56 pm - Monongahela, PA

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to start/develop a running program.  I always made the joke when I was overweight that I would NEVER run...not even if I was being chased but now that I am almost within range of my goal, I have decided that running is something I want to do.  I walk every day at a 4MPH pace but I'm ready to bump it up.  I've been alternating short bursts of joggging (5.5 MPH) for 2 mins alternating with the walking for 3 mins but I can't seem to progress past the 2 mins of jogging.  I want to eventually be able to run for my entire time  (30 min or so).  So, any advice about how to go about this and how long I should expect it will take to get to the point where I can run for prolonged periods of time?? 

Scott William
on 3/4/07 8:24 pm
It sounds like your plan is good.  If you can't get passed the 2 min then you may have to lower the intensity and perhaps drop the speed to 5.0.  Over time, you can increase the speed and duration as it gets easier.  Keep at it and you will be running 5K's in no time. Scott
Bethany A.
on 3/5/07 8:59 pm - Monongahela, PA
Thanks for the suggestion about lowering the intensity.  I tend to be "all or nothing" and forget that I can work out somewhere in between no exercise and killing myself. lol
julieohio
on 3/5/07 12:54 am - Gahanna, OH
When I was ready to make the switch, I went to runners world.com and followed the couch to 5k program. YOu are on your way. Good job.  Julie
Bethany A.
on 3/5/07 9:01 pm - Monongahela, PA
Looks like a very interesting website. Thanks for the tip.
Most Active