Beginner Yoga

EZDZIT2000
on 2/27/07 2:26 am - Elk Grove, CA
I joined 24 hour fitness and they offer a yoga class.  They say it is for all levels.  I want to learn to use my core, be balanced and more flexable.  I am Preop and still weight 300 can I do it?  Has anyone been to yoga?  your experience would be very helpful! On a side note.. I LOVE going to the gym!!  ?????  Who knew ??? 
 330/289/195/175  highest/preop/current/goal
"If you don't like where I am, Leave me where you found me.  Someone else will come along."
GETTING CLOSE!!!
Neecee O.
on 2/27/07 4:51 am - CA
I started yoga at 2 bills + 20 (220#), and it was great. Of course, there are poses that are not happening, but i wouldn't blame them all on being fat! LOL - I am SO not flexible, never was, even at 150#. A good yoga teacher will teach you modifications so you can get the full benefit of the pose.  My advice:  go to a used book store or check amazon for a used copy of "Moving Toward Balance" by Rodney Yee.  He shows at least 3 variations of most poses so you can get the benefit and work at your own pace. It is very  important to go to a 3D class, too, to get some basics! 
EZDZIT2000
on 2/27/07 4:56 am - Elk Grove, CA
Thank you!!
StephanieF.
on 2/27/07 6:21 am

I tried yoga at home, and the problem that I had was my tummy would get in the way.  Some poses were inhibited by that, but I still enjoyed it.  Now I'm doing Leslie Sansone's You Can Do Yoga, and it is basic and I can do it.   I like that she's just teaching the poses, not imposing eastern religious beliefs and/or practices, too, as I am not into that, you know?  I started off at 304, by the way, and now at 210 it is much easier;  I can do downward facing dog, the child pose, etc.  It's a big feeling of accomplishment! Have fun, Steph

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

julieohio
on 2/27/07 9:56 am - Gahanna, OH
I started taking pilates at 370, similar to yoga but a bit easier for bigger people. It is difficult but stick with it, you will be happy you did. When I was larger I found pure yoga to be a real challange but as I got smaller it got easier. Be careful not to injur yourself trying to hard to soon. I speak from expirence there. Julie
Most Active