I wan****er with walking without holding in my hand

Jill A.
on 2/27/07 6:48 am - Monroe, NC
Hello everyone.  I am new to this board but plan to hang out a while.  I had RNY 1 week ago.  I have worked up to a 50 minute walking regimen.  My only problem is I need to keep water with me.  I walked in my neighborhood today and when I got back was parched.   And then I remembered I can't come in and down an 8 oz glass of water.  I'm slowly sipping and know I'm dehydrated.  But how do I walk around the neighborhood with water?  If I were to carry a bottle in my hand, I'm afraid I'd drop it (I'm still feeling really weak from surgery).  Is there any kind of device that you can wear to help hold water.  This question may sound nerdy but I'm going for function over form here.  Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated! Thanks ...Jill

kcarie
on 2/27/07 9:00 am - CLARKSTON, MI
There are several different kinds of water holding contraptions you can use.  Check out local sporting good stores like sports authority or dunhams or even a bicycle shop.  One brand  is called "Camel back"  and another is I believe called a Platypus.  Both sit on your back like a little back pack and have a flexible tube that comes over your shoulder and clips to your shirt.  At the end is a little stopper that you put in your mouth and with a little pressure, you can suck the water up from the pouch.   It holds plenty.  My husband used them when he raced mountain bikes and would go on super long rides.  All can be done totally hands free!   good luck! Kathy
julieohio
on 2/27/07 9:53 am - Gahanna, OH
Congrats on being able to take such long walks at only a week out. What I did at that time was to cary the small bottles like for children and just put one in my pocket. They you don't have to hold it but it is still close by.  Now I have a belt with a watter bottle in it. That works great to.  Good luck Julie
Neecee O.
on 2/27/07 11:37 am - CA
yup, you need a camel - if you have a Costco or a Sam's Club, they usually have them!
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/07 7:01 am - Miramar Beach, FL
When I was a Girl Scout leader, one of our little tricks was to simply tie a length of sturdy yarn or string to the top of your water bottle to make a sling to wear diagonally over your shoulder.  Super simple & cheap. Tami
Rob S.
on 3/2/07 2:07 am - DE
Camel back also makes a fanny pack version now that is oriented to walkers/runners.  I haven't used it but it looks like it might be practical.  I used a camel back my first two years of cycling and it was great.  Now since I am much more competitive, I tend to grab water bottles on the run and toss the empties in my cycling shirt back pockets. Stay hydrated.
Scott William
on 3/5/07 10:22 pm
http://www.runningunlimited.com/access/waterbottles.asp There are some good ideas on this site.  I use a single water bottle in a nathan holder.  Good luck and keep up the good work. Scott
Most Active