Question about exercise, protein and weight loss?

denico
on 2/23/07 11:06 pm - Lawton, OK

I'm not sure if I am getting enough protein intake...I take in about 50 to 60 per day.  Is this not enough?  I ask because I've been at the same weight for 2 wks now with no change.  I started back to the gym this past Monday and walk 20 to 25 minutes daily.  So, I guess I'm really wondering if it's a lack of protein or food period.  I'm still in the mushy stage of my diet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sandy

Highest:255    Current:225                                         

Maryland
on 2/24/07 3:43 am - Rockville, MD
Hello, fellow lap bander!  Congrats on your new band.  A couple of comments: 1.  you have lost 22 lbs already!  Fantastic.  However, if you are still in the mushie stage, you haven't had your first fill yet.  Right now, you should not be concentrating on losing weight -- that will come after your first fill.  You need to let your stomach heal properly.  Sometimes people get anxious and want to start losing weight fast, or the doctors will push you, but this is not the time.  Surviving the liquid and mushies period is hard enough as it is.  It's not called "Bander's Hell" for nothing! 2.  50 or 60 grams of protein for the amount of exercising you are doing is just fine.  (Bypass patients need more because they can't absorb all the protein in their revised systems).  After you lose some weight and start to get in better shape, you will hopefully begin increasing your exercise regime, too  (I started just like you did, walking about half an hour).  Once you increase your exercise intensity and time (over an hour, say), you will want to increase your protein intake to 80-100 grams per day, or a little more.  Especially when you start doing weights, so you will build muscle (don't worry, you won't get bulky).  Some people advocate higher levels of protein, but be cautious.   Read up on it. 3.  It is normal to have plateaus as you lose weight.  Be patient, and don't be in a rush.  Lap banders lose weight slower than bypass patients, so don't take their weight loss numbers as the average.  Even though it seems soooo slow, time will accumulate your weight loss and looking back, you will be amazed.   I got my lap band in June 2005.  My highest weight was 277+, at surgery I weighed 266, and I now weigh 173.  At times it seems like I was never going to lose the pounds.  When you get close to 200, the weight loss really slows down, because you are not burning as much.  But it DOES come off.  And when you don't lose pounds, you may lose inches, which is just as important.   I can't tell you how wonderful it is to wear a size 12 again.  It sounds like you are doing great.  Just be patient, and keep with the program.  You have a new life ahead of you!
denico
on 2/24/07 9:46 am - Lawton, OK
Thanks for the encouragement it is truly needed.  Like you I lost 11 lbs preop and lost the other 11 lbs during the first week.  I just wanted to make sure I'm eating enough with my workout, I don't want my body to think it's starving and hang on to everything.   I'll have to work on the patience thing though.
 Highest:255    Current:225                                         

Most Active