what's the best use of my gym time?

roxy2176
on 2/19/07 10:55 am
Hi all!  I got banded on 12/15 and started working out rigorously the first week of Jan.  My goal is to first, lose weight (50lbs to go) and second, tone my stomach, arms, butt... Week by week, I have been increasing cardio and now incorporating classes like kickboxing and body scupting class into my routine... My avg work out schedule is: 3x a week: elliptical 45min/15 min weight training 1x a week: kickboxing 1x a week: body sculpt I can do this and commit to this gym schedule and hitting the gym 5x a week for about 1-1.5 hours. Do you think I should change this up and add more toning?  Should I drop some cardio time and add more weight training? Should I weight train first? Lastly, should I be increasing my protein on gym days?  I average about 50-60 grams a day.  I don't usually supplement my diet with a protein bar/shake. Any advice is much appreciated. Rox

highest/surgery/current/goal                                
264/237/196/180

Earl C.
on 2/19/07 11:48 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Rox, Looks like you got it down to me. If you feel the need a little more weight training wouldn't hurt.  Just depends on your needs and goals. But if what you're doing is working, don't change anything. Protein...I don't think there's an active woman alive that can't increase their protein a little. I would shoot for 100 - 120 Grams minimum. Pure protein actually has very little calories and will keep you full, help you recuperate from workouts and speed your metabolism. Can't lose with more protein. Good luck Earl
roxy2176
on 2/19/07 10:11 pm
Thanks so much Earl, I will add a good protein shake in on gym days. Do you have a favorite? Rox

highest/surgery/current/goal                                
264/237/196/180

Earl C.
on 2/20/07 12:22 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Roxy, I'm a little different on the protein. I mix up my own from different sources depending on what my needs are that day. Different types of protein have different amino acid makeups. But that being said: I use mainly GNC Pro Performance Brands like 100% Whey and PM Protein and mix my own in a Magic Bullet with creatine, glutamine, Ice and splenda. I'll sometimes throw in some Flax Meal or Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Flax Oil.  You don't have to go this over the top like I do to get the benefits. 100 % Whey taste good (I like vanilla) and is not as thick as the PM Protein. PM Protein is mainly Casein which sticks with you and is absorbed slower than whey but would be a good meal replacement. I'll mix chocolate PM Protein and vanilla 100% Whey...Mmmmmmm. So I get the fast absorbing Whey and the stay with me Casein all in one drink. There are hundreds of Ready to Drink and kool aid type whey drinks. They go through me like water. I like the thicker shake my magic bullet and ice give me. My ex used to take a Ready to Drink and put it in a quart of water mug and sip it all day so she got her water and protein. I tasted kind of like Crystal light. Good luck Earl
Most Active