Swimming workout

Mifiremedic
on 2/18/07 5:10 am - MI
Does anyone have information or could tell me where to find information of the best way to start a swimming program? I would like to alternate workouts between treadmill, weights, bike, and of course lap swimming. I was at the YMCA yesterday and watched a female who appeared to have a regiment for swimming. It appeared nothing she did was an accident, every lap was pre planned. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Neecee O.
on 2/18/07 10:23 am - CA

Check out your community college! And ask at the Y if there are instructors available. Also, there are triathletes among us here who should be weighing in here!

Hardly an expert here, but my training via community college classes has been that swimming will not raise your heart rate like land work, but it is incredibly challenging. I'd say keep moving, change up strokes. I swim regular, then on the return, do a back stroke.  Those are the only two moves I have! LOL.  But if you did breast stroke or sidestroke, do those.

I had to build up to do ten laps - at first could only do about 4 without feeling faint!

The other grea****er conditioner is get into deep enough water and tread, but move legs in an exaggerated way, kind of like broadjumping underwater.  build up to doing 2 minutes at a time.  I love swimming.

Nancy S.
on 2/19/07 10:57 am - Rio Vista, CA

Hi!!, I have been a swimmer since day one. At first I had a severe back problem and because of tha****er aerobics was my main workout. Then after my bariatric surgery I had my back surgery and things got better. (Of course I weighed less too) Now this is my regimen. I do 20 laps in an olympic pool. In this order. Breast stroke Left Side Stroke Right Side Stroke Back Stroke For 5 repeitions. I do not do crawl because I have a  partial rotator cuff tear and it hurts too much. Then I do an hour of water aerobics. I don't know where you are at in your excercise level, but you could even do water walking with styrofoam resistance dumbbells and a paddle board for walking resistance too. There are some men who swim back and forth, back and forth with a snorkel and I don't think that is working all the muscles which is why I do the strokes in the order that I do. It works all the muscles evenly.\ Good luck, hoped this helped. Nancy s.

RealLosersAreWinners.gif
                       NancyS.gif

Most Active