turbo kickboxing!

ConnienTX
on 2/14/07 12:36 pm - Dallas area, TX
Hi all, Just found this forum.  I'm about 3 and a half years postop, in maintenance.  Wanting to lose five pounds before my last round of plastic surgery (medial thighs). I work out twice a week with a personal trainer for strength/weight training.  For cardio, I have an elliptical crosstrainer machine at home, but I like to change it up so I don't burn out on it. So I took a class at my fitness club---kickboxing.  OMG it was awesome.  Looks like lots of fun.  But frustrating.  Just about the time I got the step right they changed it.    So I barely broke a sweat while everybody in the class was dripping.  Of course the others there come regularly so they know the drill.  (It makes it even more humiliating that 3/4 of the class were young enough to be my kids, I'm 54 years of age.)    I'm in excellent cardio shape, I know I could keep up with it if I knew what the *&%$ I was doing.  The instructor said just keep coming back, it would get better.  Thought about getting a DVD so I could practice at home so I wouldn't make such an idiot of myself. Any ideas?   Thanks a bunch. Connie -147#

Connie nTX
RNY 9/17/03

highest 293#
lowest 146#
four rounds of PS
http://www.picturetrail.com/txredwls

J M.
on 2/15/07 5:38 am - NJ
Hi - I would keep going to the class. I have the same problem w/ keeping up. I took karate for several years and then switched to kick boxing - boy did i feel like a dork. it does get better and it is some much fun. i can't wait to start back up again  - i'm only 5 weeks out . I hope to go back real soon. Marta

ConnienTX
on 2/16/07 12:15 am - Dallas area, TX
Thanks for the encouragement, Marta! Wow, girl, 41# in 5 weeks, you rock!!!

Connie nTX
RNY 9/17/03

highest 293#
lowest 146#
four rounds of PS
http://www.picturetrail.com/txredwls

Rhoyal
on 2/16/07 8:02 am - Prince George's County, MD
Connie, I suggest that you continue to go to the class; it is not expected that you will know all of the steps when you attend one class.  How do you think that everyone else figured out the steps?  Each person learned his/her steps by going to the class regularly. I guess that I may be an exception because I was taking step classes at the weight of 280.  I never felt embarrassed or frustrated; I just went with the flow. Lisa 280/135/135
ConnienTX
on 2/16/07 10:23 am - Dallas area, TX

Thanks, Lisa.  It's just that I want to do it perfectly.....LOL....but seriously, if I take the time to do a workout, I want to get the full benefit, calorie-burning, etc.  But if I'm stopped to figure out what step we're on, I'm not moving, and I get the feeling I'm wasting my time. As you can tell patience is not my strong suit!!  I'll try some more classes, it looks like fun. Hugs, Connie

Nancy S.
on 2/19/07 11:03 am - Rio Vista, CA
Hi Connie I am also 54 years (young girl young) so I can totally relate to what you are saying. I started a Jazz Aerobics class about 3 weeks ago. My first class I felt like such a retard. (I know that's not PC, but that's what I felt like) Now after three weeks the brain is finally connecting with the feet and legs. I don't know how it does it, but it does. I have thought about getting a DVD too, but I know for myself I am a class person. I love being in a class with other people. So good luck and stick to it. Nancy S.

RealLosersAreWinners.gif
                       NancyS.gif

ConnienTX
on 2/19/07 11:23 am - Dallas area, TX
Thanks for the encouragement, Nancy.  I did buy the DVD and I'm going to practice some more at home before I brave the class again.  Nobody sees me here but the cats.....LOL Hugs, Connie
Most Active