Protein

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/07 1:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Okay, question about protein.  Each place I look has very conflicting info.  I am in serious need of help with determining how much protein is necessary. Some sites explain that it it calculated per pound of lean body weight, others claim it is 1.5gms per pound of current body weight.  Some sites say it will help lose fat and build muscle, other sites say excess protein will turn to fat. I've been working an absolute minimum of an hour daily on my treadmill and I'm not building any muscle.  I'm losing inches and weight but no added muscle.  My diet is horrible, I know that.  I am drinking protein shakes twice daily, 15gms protein and 160 calories per each.  I know 30gms isn't enough and 320 calories isn't enough but at the moment I have little choice. Now I'm not losing weight, I'm not gaining muscle, things are not working.  However, for various reasons this is the best I can do.  I can substitute a different protein shake as long as it doesn't make me barf more but adding more is not really an option right now. Thoughts?
JeremyGentles
on 2/12/07 8:18 pm - Johnson City, TN
I would like to discuss these issues with you over the phone. I understand that these issues are often very confusing and it would be far more productive if I could talk to you about it. Please call me toll free at the following number and we can talk for 20-30 minutes so I can clear some things up. Phone: 866-957-4636 Ext. 357

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/07 3:50 am - Phoenix, AZ
Jeremy... Thanks so much for your time on the phone.  You explained a great deal and cleared up many misconceptions. You are great, thanks!
waterman
on 2/12/07 9:28 pm - Jacksonville Beach, FL
I use GNC 100% Whey Protein (19-20grams per serving). Comes in various flavors. Mixes well with Skim milk and make's great protein smoothies. I average around 100grams daily between the protein drinks and what I eat throughout the day. I prefer making my own drinks vice canned drinks.

The Waterman

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/07 8:15 am - Phoenix, AZ

Waterman....

Today I finally found a protein drink that doesn't make me gag!!!  Matrix 5.0.  It's great!  It's far better than Atkins.  This stuff has 120 calories and 22gms protein.  It's about 25% of the cost of Atkins too!

Now I can bump up my protein, this will make life so much easier.

Earl C.
on 2/13/07 12:12 am - Circleville, OH
Hey, I'll let Jeremy answer your questions, give him a call. I just wanted to hit on a few things that stuck out to me if you don't mind. I'm not sure what protein drink  you're doing but it's not very good. 15 grams with 160 calories, it can't be pure protein. Protein has 4 calories a gram. You should be able to get 30 grams for 120 calories or so. Maybe a few extra carbs would jack it up to 140 or 160. Treadmill is great. Keep doing it. But it's not meant to be a muscle builder. I'm not even getting into the intensity level on a treadmill. Jeremy will hit on that I'm sure. I think you're a couple of months out so it might be time to start a simple resistance training program 2 or 3 days a week. And at this point it's more about "keeping" or not losing muscle more than building muscle. Call Jeremy. Good luck Earl
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/07 3:49 am - Phoenix, AZ

Earl...

Yes, I did just talk to Jeremy.  I had no idea how much information I don't know!  Seriously, he is a wealth of info and very cool about explaining things.  He said the same as you, it's about keeping muscle tissue vs. building more right now.

I've been drinking Atkins shakes.  Not because I'm a huge Atkins fan but because it's the one that is least nasty.

He gave me some issues to think about.  Increasing calories (heh, haven't been told to do that one in many years!), getting better quality protein, eating complex carbs before a work out and protein afterwards, thinking about resistance training, etc.

I didn't even realize this section was here until last night.  Wish I would have known about it a couple of months ago.

Thanks!

Earl C.
on 2/13/07 7:46 am - Circleville, OH
Yeah, we're Jeremy's little lost world. Post often. Let us know how you're doing. Earl
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/07 8:16 am - Phoenix, AZ

Earl.... Oh, I will be posting often.  I only have about a gazillion questions. ;o)  I really do have a great deal to learn.  Thanks.

Earl C.
on 2/14/07 10:25 am - Circleville, OH
Ask away. Some question I've found are hard to answer responsibly online. But ask anyway, that's the best way to learn. Here's some websites that might answer some questions... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html http://www.t-nation.com/index.do
Most Active