treadmill ??? chris,earl,jeremy or anyone

Anita Jo
on 2/9/07 11:26 pm - Elmira, NY
 hi all, i had my adominalplasty jan 19th.. took off 9.2 pounds of skin and fat. i'm now 165 pounds. i saw my surgeon yesterday for my 3 week post op checkup and he said i can do 30 minutes a day on my treadmill. like i told him i used to do 2 sets of 30 minutes twice a day. he thought that was too much. what you all think just do the 30 minutes? how fast?  thanks for all your help... Anita

Earl C.
on 2/10/07 1:30 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Anita. You're doing great btw. Ok...just my opinion... This is one of those questions you have to decide for yourself. Nobody knows what's comfortable as far as pace and intensity as you do. I don't think he wants you to go 100% all out sprinting. 30 minutes on a treadmill means different things to different people. Think about starting over, back off from your normal pace, just to get movement back in your day and gradually build back to your normal pace from there.  You're still in recovery, if it hurts don't do it. Have a good weekend. Earl
Anita Jo
on 2/10/07 2:59 am - Elmira, NY
 thanks earl, lol i had to look up what btw meant. i am trying my best.. yes maybe its a good thing to start slow then i used to and work myself up. i used to do the treadmill 2.0 mph for 15 and 2.4 mph for 15 but now that might be too fast.. i know if it hurts then stop.. i think i will try later.. now what time frame should i do my treadmill. i am a housewifr so i do have lots of time... thanks ... you have a good weekend too..anita

JeremyGentles
on 2/12/07 8:27 pm - Johnson City, TN
Hello Anita, As Earl said below, "if it hurt, stop." Under normal conditions 30 minutes twice a day is not too much. In fact, 30 minutes a day right now might not be too much as long as it is done at an exercise intensity that does not cause pain related to the surgical site. Once you are cleared to participate in more intense activities/exercise you can start increasing the speed and/or incline of the treadmill. I have written a fairly comprehensive article in regards to cardiovascular training that will help you determine an appropriate exercise intensity (heart rate) and duration.  Check out the article at the link below. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,2277/mode,content/ Let me know if you need anything else.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Most Active