swimming?

Rachel M.
on 2/5/07 1:45 am
RNY on 01/15/07 with
I am curious to know if anyone swims laps on a regular basis and if so, has any problems with water intake? I was a swimmer for 14 years and I'm 3 weeks out of surgery. I know its going to be a little while before I can jump in the pool again, but I'm still really looking forward to it. I am concerned that I'll swallow too much water while doing laps (its always been a problem for me), and if the chemicals in the water, chlorine especially, will cause any problems or make me sick. I'm also interested in triathlons down the road and I'm nervous about swimming in open water for the same reasons. Any thoughts?
ddove74
on 2/12/07 4:43 am - Burbank, CA
Hello: I swim laps nearly everyday and haven't had a problem with water intake.  I have, of course swallowed water, but it's never been an issue where it has made me sick or anything.   I just began a triathlon program and so far no problems.  I'm also an advanced diver (certified a couple of months after the surgery) and I have had no problems with open water swim or dives. I think you will be just fine :-)   If you continue to have concerns, you should then contact your physician and get his perspective. ~Danielle
SoniaB
on 2/27/07 1:58 pm - Windsor, Canada
What about aqua aerobics instead of swimming?!  Just a suggestion
Most Active