Newbee Needs Ideas

Snugglebugs
on 1/28/07 10:27 pm - Columbus, OH
Hello I had my RNY on 11/28/06 and need ideas for places to go to excercise in the Columbus Ohio area. Somewhere with a pool. The hard part is: I still feel very uncomfortable with my body and I am too scared to go to a gym because I am afraid everyone will be staring at me. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
Earl C.
on 1/29/07 12:18 am - Circleville, OH
Well, a regular pool for swimming you're pretty much going to have to join any of the Y's in Columbus. Grove City has a nice one with indoor and outdoor pool. If you want to do some Pool exercise...not swim, then Victories has that that. A lot of women that are new to exercise and would feel uncomfortable at a Power Shack or World's Gym seem to like Curves or places like that. If you want to be around other WLS people contact OSU's Medical Center. They have a fitness center with everything from special cardio equipment that's easier to get in and out of, heated pool for water walking and exercise classes, walking track, weight equipment and exercise classes. They even have nutritionist and Personal trainers and nurses on duty if you need them. I had to go there for 6 months before WLS for Living Well Classes (which I think would work great 6 months "after" surgery.) And you never know who you'll be training with. My doctor works out there because OSU doctors and nurses get a discount. I found the link... http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/hospitalsandservices/programs/center/ Good luck. Earl
Maryland
on 1/29/07 7:05 am - Rockville, MD

There are various kinds of gyms - some are "pick up alleys" which attract a lot of young people interested in meeting other young people, some attract a lot of body builders, and a lot of gyms attract a wide variety of people.  The gym I go to has a lot of people over 40 working out, as well as younger people.  People are all types and body shapes, and everyone is focused on working out.  No one could care less what you look like.  It probably costs a little more than some gyms, but you get what you pay for. If you are truly too self-conscious to go to the gym yet, just work out at home until you are ready.  That's what I did.  You can do a lot of walking, use videos, or purchase some home equipment.  I bought a good rowing machine, and used that for several months combined with walking before I felt ready to start at the gym.  I also lost a lot of weight during that time, so I wasn't so self conscious, and was also ready to take it to the next level. 

Neecee O.
on 1/29/07 10:03 am - CA

I know - does that suck or what - that at a gym, fat people are not made to feel welcome.  I suggest that wherever you go, work with getting over that body image thing.  I don't care what weight you are - someone in the world would KILL to look like you. Once you start going, you will attract and notice many others in your same boat - dislike of their own bodies.  Hold your head up, and know you did/are doing something about your body issues. Be proud. Anyone who laughs or grunts at you deserves a fate worse than death if they don't at least acknowledge that about you. Ring your own bell by showing up to finish this job you started!!!!! That used to p*ss me off walking in there and seeing all the skinny girls draped all over the machines talking and laughing - NOT working out. Just remember most of them would look like that if they never got to a gym EVER, born like that.  The rest of us have to work on it!   But I'm not bitter...LOL For now, if you just cannot do a gym,  try your community collge and see if they have a water aerobics class. Those usually have a bunch of older, very chubby people included in the class. You will be the hot young thing!  Good luck and be PROUD!!!!

Most Active