Yoga for fatties??

lynnc
on 1/9/07 12:38 am - Somewhere in, Canada
Hi there: I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on trying out yoga while rather heavy.  I'm 5'6 and about 225...needless to say, not very limber.  I am considering trying yoga out as a way to gain flexibility.  Is this reasonable or should I take off a few more pounds before it will effective?  How often? Are there particular types of yoga that are easier for beginners? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Lynn C.
Thoughts become things.

lynnc
on 1/9/07 3:13 am - Somewhere in, Canada

Thanks for the info. Neecee: I'm planning to add in a yoga class per week.  A local studio charges $18/mo. and I thought that was a good price to give it a try.  Truthfully, I haven't been doing much of anything else but my aquaerobics will resume soon and as the weather improves I add more activities.  I figure if I try enough stuff I'll find something that works or at least be able to change it up so I'm not bored. Thanks again.

Lynn C.
Thoughts become things.

future former fat chick
on 1/9/07 9:21 pm - Baltimore, MD
I'm not very limber either.  Not at all.  Anyway, why don' tyou try a DVD before investing in classes to see if you even like Yoga.  Denise Austin has an Extra Light Yoga Workout tape and there's also the Yoga for Dummies DVD.  Good luck! Tracy

Jesus is so good to me;  I couldn't ask for a better friend, protector, leader, savior!

drjco
on 1/19/07 1:16 am - Mint Hill, NC
Hey, I am 5'8" weighing in at 287.  I took a Special Needs yoga class for two years.  I lost weight and built strength and balance during that time.  Knee surgery put me on the sidelines.  It was not related to the yoga class.  In "special needs'" there were people with back problems, fibromyagia, MS, and some of us plain old fatties.  Some people did it while staying in a chair, others used straps or blocks to help complete move or position.  We used the big exercise balls to hold up the rear in some moves.  I urge you to shop around and find a YMCA, Gym Club or Health club that offers thes classes.  I live in Charlotte NC but had to spend a few weeks in Salt Lake City.  It only took a phone book and about 10 minutes to find a group that offered this pre-beginners class.

John C. Odioso Ed.D.

lynnc
on 3/13/07 3:25 am - Somewhere in, Canada
Thanks drjco: I've actually been in Yoga now for about six weeks and it's going great.  Thanks for your reply.

Lynn C.
Thoughts become things.

Most Active